Must I plug one powerline adapter (AV600) directly into my router (Archer AX21)

16 hours ago - last edited 14 hours ago
Model: TL-PA4010 KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Router closet is pretty tight. No available wall plugs.  I have wifi and wired ethernet in most of my house.  Could I plug a powerline adapter (base unit) into one of those ethernet ports in another room?  Every video and instruction manual say to plug into the router, but I cannot figure out a technical reason why.

Setup would be: internet to modem to router to ethernet port in living room to powerline adapter (base unit) to 2nd powerline adapter (end point) where I don't have good wifi or wired internet coverage. At the end point will be my wired OTA DVR. Right now, without a powerline I am getting 5 Mbps (wifi) which is not fast enough for streaming.  Goal is 20 Mbps. Internet from ISP is a little more than 100 Mbps.    

Options
1 Reply
Re:Must I plug one powerline adapter (AV600) directly into my router (Archer AX21)
9 hours ago

@OldGeezer 

Yes,  for PLC to work one of the adapters must be physically connected to your router, in this case the Archer AX21, via Ethernet cable.  This is because the statlite unit does not communicate directly with the router.  instead it communicates with a base unit which then relates that data to the router.  The base unit is a relay or a sort of middle man beteween the router and the satilitte unit. 

Options