Firmware Update Failed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Firmware Update Failed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Firmware Update Failed
Firmware Update Failed
2018-01-11 09:56:44
Model : LB130

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version : 1.2.3

ISP : comcast.net

After connecting my new LB130 smart bulb to my network, I was prompted to update to the latest firmware. I proceeded to do so, only to see an error message 'Update Not Complete' after about 2% had passed. The bulb is connected to my network, as I am able to control all functions available. Except for the firmware update. Can anyone please provide the steps necessary that I can take to fix this?
Options
7 Reply
LB130 firmware upgrade fails
2018-06-13 03:06:31
I have the same problem. The firmware upgrade of the LB130 does not work via Kasa. Current firmware is 1.2.3. And new firmware is listed as 1.7.1.

I also tried the iotUpgradeTool. The tool find this LB130. After pressing upgrade, it says "Start downloading...." and then "Download status is 6".

What can I do?
Options
A Possible Solution
2018-06-14 02:39:38
Here is a solution that worked for me, which I received from an elevated tech support rep. You will need a Windows PC in order to perform the manual update of the bulb:

If your hardware version is V1, you can try to refer to the following steps to upgrade the firmware manually with a windows computer.

1.Make Sure the computer and the smart plug are connected to the same router/modem.
2.Donwload the firmware http://static.tp-link.com/2017/201712/20171228/iotUpgradeTool_V1.3.zip to the computer and extract it
3.Click and run the main.exe
4.Click scan button to find the devices on your local network(may click again if your device is not found)
5.Select your device by click it in the devices list box
6.Click upgrade button to start the upgrade procedure
7.The upgrade result will be shown in the below log window and progress bar

> Hello, I purchased a LB130 Smart Wi-Fi LED Bulb today. I was successful at adding the bulb to my network except when I attempted to update the firmware. When I started the process, it began to update, only reaching 2%, at which point I received a 'update failed' message. This happened several times, and then I gave up. Can you please help me get this fixed?

Your feedback is very important to us, please feel free to contact me for further help.

Best Regards
----------------------------------------------
Eva Liu
TP-LINK Technical Support
Options
Re:Firmware Update Failed
2018-06-22 19:18:11
I have two LB110 bulbs. I could upgrade one of them from 1.2.3 to 1.7.1 using the app but not the other one. I'm not sure why, the one that worked is much farther away from the router. Maybe there is more wireless traffic/interference near the bulb that failed to update?

I don't have access to a Windows machine at home so I downloaded and ran the iotUpgradeTool_V1.3 on Wine on my Mac and it worked!

Thanks afarmer784!
Options
Excellent
2018-06-25 07:13:08
I'm glad to hear that this worked for you, too. I think there must have been at least a few of these bulbs that may have had something different about them, which prevented a successful automatic update. Thanks for letting us know!

bmorenrique wrote

I have two LB110 bulbs. I could upgrade one of them from 1.2.3 to 1.7.1 using the app but not the other one. I'm not sure why, the one that worked is much farther away from the router. Maybe there is more wireless traffic/interference near the bulb that failed to update?

I don't have access to a Windows machine at home so I downloaded and ran the iotUpgradeTool_V1.3 on Wine on my Mac and it worked!

Thanks afarmer784!
Options
2018-06-25 10:49:36

Michaelbuh wrote

Hi.Many times I prompted for update, update sucessfully d/ed, after installation and reboot I got this error message on samsung tab 10.1 "failed to update firmware, try again using pc software or visit a samsung service centre", I tried Kies but can not see how to do update.Please help.Thanks.

Hey, did you tried afarmer 784's suggestion above?
That should be the useful method to guide you update the smart device.
It's worth to have a try.
Options
2018-08-08 00:31:23

afarmer784 wrote

Here is a solution that worked for me, which I received from an elevated tech support rep. You will need a Windows PC in order to perform the manual update of the bulb:

If your hardware version is V1, you can try to refer to the following steps to upgrade the firmware manually with a windows computer.

1.Make Sure the computer and the smart plug are connected to the same router/modem.
2.Donwload the firmware http://static.tp-link.com/2017/201712/20171228/iotUpgradeTool_V1.3.zip to the computer and extract it
3.Click and run the main.exe
4.Click scan button to find the devices on your local network(may click again if your device is not found)
5.Select your device by click it in the devices list box
6.Click upgrade button to start the upgrade procedure
7.The upgrade result will be shown in the below log window and progress bar

> Hello, I purchased a LB130 Smart Wi-Fi LED Bulb today. I was successful at adding the bulb to my network except when I attempted to update the firmware. When I started the process, it began to update, only reaching 2%, at which point I received a 'update failed' message. This happened several times, and then I gave up. Can you please help me get this fixed?

Your feedback is very important to us, please feel free to contact me for further help.

Best Regards
----------------------------------------------
Eva Liu
TP-LINK Technical Support

This one worked for me
Options
A Possible Solution
2021-02-20 15:10:40

@afarmer784 

Didn't work for me. When trying to upgrade two light bulbs it gives me "2021/02/20 08:03:18>> Unknown device type".  This is becoming very frustrating to have two lights bulbs on my network that simply will not work.

I've reset them countless times and they will not update nor can I get them added into my Google Home because I'm unable to turn on 'Remote Control'.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 10458

Replies: 7

Related Articles