HS200 and Fluorescent tube lights issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-03-11 05:16:32
I correctly installed a HS200 switch to replace an old switch that turns on 4 banks of tube lights (T8) in the drop ceiling of my basement. It is installed correctly and connected to my wifi network but I cannot turn on the tube lights either manually thru the switch or thru the Kasa app. The wifi light is on (when dark) and the switch makes a click everytime I use the app to turn it on or off but the lights do not turn on.
Eventually I replaced the HS200 with the old switch and it turns on the tube lights.
Does any one know the problem? The tube light fixtures are about 15 years old and most likely have magnetic ballasts

(I replaced two other old switches that controlled regular bulbs (not tube lights) with HS200 switches and these are working great.
Options
13 Reply
Re:HS200 and Fluorescent tube lights issue
2018-03-11 22:33:56
It probably has nothing to do with those being fluorescent, the HS200 is a simple switch (relay). If you're hearing a click of course it's working - the problem then is defective wiring either inside or outside of the switch. Double check for loose connectors, and whether your wiring is "power through fixture" (which won't work) vs "power through switch" which will. A google search will find the appropriate wiring diagrams for each. One way to tell is if the switch box only has one 14-2 wire coming into it.
Options
2018-03-13 06:58:58
hello dsam, did you figure out how to use the HS200 with the Flourescent fixture, l am having the same issue, everything connects, ligth just don't kick on
Options
2018-03-14 08:02:37
Can anyone please answer the question
Options
2018-03-15 00:16:33
Hmmm. I already did... There's nothing special about florescent lights, there's something wrong with your wiring (most likely) or with the switch itself (unlikely 'if it's clicking).
Options
2018-03-16 00:42:29
What doesn't make sense is my current switch has 2 wires, and no ground, so l should be able to just connect the tp link switch, don't understand about the wiring.. 2 wires go to the switch, if l remove the switch and connect the 2 wires, the lights come on, if l connect the tp link switch and its connected to wifi and app, switch makes a click noise but nothing!!
Options
2018-03-16 00:47:26
Visalia,
No. I could not figure out a solution for this. Have not had time to devote to this yet.

MikeP,
It is not the switch (lights on and clicks every time when tried from the app). I pulled out the HS200 switch and put back the old dumb switch and it turns the lights on from the first go. Do you still think the wiring could be the issue? If that is the case, would the old dumb switch work (as it is doing now)?
Options
2018-03-16 11:26:14
contact tplink support for a solution
Options
2018-03-16 11:32:16
If there's only two wires, you can't just hook them up to the HS200, it's a powered device. I assume you mean there's no neutral - not having ground is quite dangerous. If there's no neutral the switch is probably rebooting every time you try to turn it on. The device must have neutral and line in as well as load out and ground. With only 2 wires (that's a single 14-2) there it's almost certainly power through fixture wiring so it's not going to work. The other no-go is if there's a 14-3 wire (white,black,red) then it's a 3-way switch and it won't work there without some fiddling.

An unpowered "dumb" switch works there because it's just shorting the wires. The HS200 does that as well using it's relay (which is why it doesn't matter what kind of light you have), but the switch needs to stay powered to keep the relay closed.

So yeah, it'll be a wiring issue (though in theory it could be the HS200 is defective). Same thing to check - if it's rebooting when you turn it on you'll hear a click but then it's LED will flash for a bit as it restarts and reconnects - power through fixture and/or no neutral. If it's not rebooting then double check you've got the line in and load out wires connected properly and tightly (and the neutral and ground!).
Options
HS200 is defective
2018-05-28 19:13:05
I have the same problem from time to time. I correctly installed a HS200 to control two lights with two fluorescent tubes in each. After installation and linking to my wireless network, the switch performed as expected. Unfortunately, from time to time, the switch stops working and will not manually or via app control the lights. You can hear the switch "cycle" when using the app and the "indicator light" changes on the switch and the app, but the lights will not turn off. I've reset, reconnected multiple times without resolution. I finally got pissed and quickly manually turned the light switch manually on and off. It then started working again. When it happened again this morning, nothing has worked and I'm wasting electricity as I type this. The switch is defective, but the first occurrence months ago was outside the warranty period. I know TP-Link won't replace so I guess it's time to replace with a reliable controller. PS: I previously contacted Technical Support about this problem and they were ZERO help.
Options
2018-05-28 20:55:18
This does sound like the device is defective - if you can hear it click but the light stays powered then the relay is sticking on. When that starts happening the only permanent solution is to replace the switch.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3803

Replies: 13