New smart plug how to power cycle?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-03-17 07:04:41
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I just purchased a new smart plug. I have a foscam camera plugged into it. Occassionally this camera will go into an error mode and need to power cycle. I bought the plug so I could do if I am away from home. Can someone tell me how to power cycle the device? I don’t see a reboot in settings?
Options
4 Reply
Re:New smart plug how to power cycle?
2018-03-17 21:01:36
Power cycle the smart plug? Unplug it, wait a few seconds, plug it back in. To power cycle the camera you'd plug it into the smart plug and use kasa to turn it off, wait a few seconds, then turn it back on. When you're away from home you need remote access enabled.
Options
2018-08-08 02:05:52
I think the question here was how do you send a signal to the Kasa Plug to power cycle, not just turn off, then back on again. But a complete off, then on again cycle.

Thanks.Peet
Options
2018-08-08 20:16:29
He's got a camera plugged into the socket, and wants to power cycle the camera when he's away from home. For that he would use Kasa and needs remote access enabled.

If you can't reach the plug to turn it off/on and want to reboot it, well, then you probably can't reach it to tell to reboot it either.

If you're looking for a way to trigger a timed power off / power on cycle because it's difficult to do this remotely (e.g. you've got your router plugged into it) you need an app like mine: AutomationManager.
Options
2020-04-18 18:58:06

This is something that I'd assume needs to built into the firmware of the plug itself.   And it would be very... _VERY_ useful.  Consder the pathological case of needing to cycle the power on a DSL router or wifi access point that is connected to the plug.  Common-as-rain that these things get horked up and need to be power-cycled to regain sanity.  Obviously you cannot issue a power-off, then loose the internet, then issue a power-on.  You need to issue the single action "Power Cycle".  We can quibble about pre-delay, or how long to stay off, but this needs to be in the plug firmware.  And resliently enough so that if -- eg. -- during the short OFF period the whole circuit looses power for some reason, that when the SmartPlug comes back alive it knows what "state" that it was in when it went off -- i.e. that it was about to turn back on.  Etc. 

So a feature request to TP-Link SmartPlug firmware team then..  Power Cycle.  In an ideal world, defined as an time-period separated sequence of Off/On. 

Cheers, and thank-you for consideratoin.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1783

Replies: 4

Related Articles