Question about AC750 Wi-Fi Range Extender Smart Plug. (Ethernet port question)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-08-02 09:03:23
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello,

My company is looking for a solution for power cycling / restarting some of our devices in remote locations. We work with some companies that have some very strict rules for us.

1. We cannot use any WiFi, and if products have WiFi, they must not be used.

2. We operate under strict VLAN IP settings.

Some of our problems come from the motherboards in our devices needing to be power cycled, which we normally ask our clients to do for us over the phone. However, if we were capable of getting a smart plug hooked up, then maybe we could just do it through a Kasa App!

Which sounds great. Except we have strict internet rules :(. Maybe HS100s or TP-Link Smart Plugs won't work for us..... Or maybe they will?

So looking into any solution for wired smart plugs, I came across a possible contender: https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5701_RE270K.html

I already have TP-Link repeaters, and I know that the software allows for the Ethernet port to intake internet. So I was thinking "could this possibly be a way to have TP-Link Smart Plugs that work with a wired solution?"

I also have the other caveat of the strict static IP settings, but this can possibly be done with the router itself. I would still prefer though assigning the IP for the device, so that I can hook it up directly to my clients networks.
Options
4 Reply
Re:Question about AC750 Wi-Fi Range Extender Smart Plug. (Ethernet port question)
2018-08-02 14:17:33
The smart plugs needs Wi-Fi network and you can't provide internet for it by wired connection.

In that case, it's hard to use smart plug to control those devices in your company.
Options
Re:Question about AC750 Wi-Fi Range Extender Smart Plug. (Ethernet port question)
2018-08-03 03:08:28
The Smart Plug cannot be used with a wired connection?
Options
2018-08-03 08:45:02
Nope. You might find lan connected relays on ebay, but most IoT vendors have switched to wifi as they can be deployed more easily.

Would WOL be more appropriate for this?
Options
2018-08-04 01:56:44
The issues we have been experiencing require the motherboard to be "power-cycled". We have errors that occur with some particularly sensitive cameras, which we've only seen fixed reliably with a complete lack of power to the motherboard. I'll look into Wake-on-Lan, but the beauty of the smart plugs was that it was an external source of power.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 798

Replies: 4