Local only

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Local only

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
155 Reply
Re:Local only
2020-05-07 19:13:21

@Maryj 

We have two HS100's that are starting to go local only, most of the time. If I look in the app and look at the individual plugs (we have many more than just these two) all work reliably other than two of them. This has only started happening in the past month or two on devices that are around two years old. (We have others that are the same age that work normally).

I am generally a big fan of these wifi plugs as they are usually rock solid (and give the full 13a supply unlike others), but something is going on and Tp-Link's silence on this issue is deafening. I am now suspecting that there is a potential hardware issue and although nothing last forever, two years is too short to be having to turn this things on manually when some of ours have been hidden under furniture and are either administered by app, Alexa or by timers (for when we are away from home on holidays and such like).

For what it's worth. If I manually turn them on or through the app (marked as Local Only) then they eventually remove the Local Only message on their own. This suggested that they are dropping off of our Mesh network until nudged to do something. Though on further checking, the two offending units both now read Local Only despite the fact that they are connected to our home network and even give a DB reading (-57dbm) so they are wirelessly connected and can be controlled through our network locally. You can actually watch them cycle between local only and not. This suggests that everything is working fine in the respect of them constantly being connected to our network.

Tp-Link if you are reading these messages from your customers, then please chime in and let people know if you think it's a software issue, overloaded internet with everyone at home at the moment, possible hardware failure (although not modern corporation admits to issues that may affect their profits, why not try and be different!!) or if there is something else that we can try. This thread is over a year old and little has been submitted on this thread, on your own website. If you haven't noticed, we could use a hand here so please try and do something to help out, if you can. Ours are connected to our network and work locally so it has to be the other side of our home network that suggests that you should be looking in to this on our behalf.

Tomorrow I will try a reset (there is a reset button) and see if that makes any difference. I haven't tried that yet as they've always been very reliable.

Options
2020-05-07 21:52:39

@Maryj  - Resetting didn't work, and TP Link was not much help.  I can't believe they haven't jumped on this and resolved it, but they haven't.

I finally changed modems and that helped.  Local only still shows up, but eventually goes away.

Occasionally, I have trouble operating remotely, and have to restart the app.

It's frustrating, and eventually I plan to replace all my TP Link plugs with another brand.  Not worth the trouble.

Options
2020-05-08 12:48:41

@YukonB I had to create an additional SSID (guest) which I exclusively use for tp link. I have not had any more trouble since. 

Options
2020-05-08 13:11:24

@YukonB 

Here's the steps I took...been running smoothly now for months.  

1. Reset all TP Link Devices to factory reset (don't relink them to your network until all are reset and flashing).

2. Add them back to your network one at a time.

2a.  After adding one, reserve it's IP address on your router based on MAC address.

2b.  Rename the device on your router to something else (I used a name that coinsided with what was plugged into it).

3.  Repeat #2 for each device one at a time.

4.  Setup DNS forwarder to be Google's DNS instead of ISP's DNS.  Google's addresses are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

This worked for me.  It was a pain as I have nearly 20 plugs, but it's a one time process and they've worked ever since.  I wish TP Link would figure out why this happens and fix it, but I'm the mean time, this appears to have worked.  Given the amount of money I put into going nearly fully automated with my house, I don't want to go to a different plug system.

Options
2020-05-09 06:26:01

@Republicandaddy 

Thanks.

I do have a guest network set up and may actually try this. We too have many of these devices. I actually have around two in a draw somewhere which I may temporarily replace the problem ones with. Though i've become very lazy during this Corona lockdown and can't seem to find the motivation to do much at all. angry

Options
2020-05-09 07:32:31

@Stevieruss great! Let me know how it goes. Interested to find out if it works for someone else. 

Options
2020-05-09 20:01:30

@Randopando 

don't totally rely on me to do that but I'll let your know if I do. Decorating priorities 😀

Options
2020-06-10 05:52:15

@Viper_LV 

local flakiness happens more and more... the support is getting awful am ready to dump the lot of the plugs. Thought it'd be a great way to go but after 20 plugs it's a hassle when they all go dead and you're away from home!!!!  

and no real solutions!!  

Options
2020-06-17 00:06:38

@Maryj call the support of your domain

Options
2020-07-28 13:42:35

@Richxplug 

agrer 100%. I have 20 plugs and what a waste!!!!  All local this morning all at once. Just glitched and bam.. wifi fine. Kasa just went south. I have reset all 20 before and am sick of this ready to trash them all Kasa has degraded significantly!!!!  Anybody at KASA even read these posts????

Options
Related Articles