Smart Plug Lite Bricks ASUS Blue Cave Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Smart Plug Lite Bricks ASUS Blue Cave Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
16 Reply
Re:Smart Plug Lite Bricks ASUS Blue Cave Router
2020-11-29 22:36:25

@1rph Have to ask have the problems gone away? I've got a BLueCave which until today, when i tried to add a KP303 to my 3 other HS100 plugs crashed the network.I've resret the router one which got things working again, but as soon as i setup a fixed IP against one of the PCs in my house the network broke again.

Options
2020-11-30 14:10:56

Same thing with my ASUS Blue Cave and HS110 smart plug.

When I tried to set up the smart plug my router crapped out.

Resetting only managed to get the 5Ghz channel up and working but 2.4Ghz was dead.

A factory restore managed to get both channels up again.

Wish I saw these issues before buying the HS110.......

Options
2020-11-30 15:02:15

Yeah, as much as it pained me, I ended up finding a deal on a TP-Link router and switched to it. No problems whatsoever. I'm not really sure who's "problem" this is, but I would lean toward an issue with the Blue Cave. I doubt ASUS is going to bend over backward to fix it.

Options
2020-11-30 15:20:33

FWIW, I ended up giving my HS103s to my parents and they worked just fine on their TP-Link Mesh deco mesh routers.  I then ended up getting a pair of another brand smart plugs from Costco and they worked just fine with my Blue Cave mesh routers.  I wish I could have kept the TP-link ones as I have other Kasa devices and didn't want another app, but the other brand integrated into google home and routines, so I rarely open the additional app anyhow.  

I would agree it's likely the Blue Caves being finnicky, but I didn't want to spend the time setting up a new router and re-connecting all of my devices to it.  I have a good stable connection with good coverage.  I'd rather mess with the cheap plugs instead.

Options
2020-11-30 21:54:00

@Dirkomatic Ok thanks. I've started a thread on the forums here and have raised a ticket with Asus. I'm holding out zero hope with Asus as their customer service is poor.

TPLink aren't without blame here as they have changed something in the software that is triggering this, as my older Kasa smart plugs have been working fine. I'd like a new router but after the Bluecave the only place to go is Wifi 6 and the front runners were the Asus Zenwifi which are OOS everywhere.

I was holding out for the Deco X10s but they have disappeared from TPLinks site and the firmware updates for the rest of their products seem slower than Asus.

Options
2020-12-07 09:56:56

I have had similar problems with a couple of new smart plugs (KP105). My phone connects to the plug but kills the whole network on my Blue cave router. Stuff recovers ok when you abandon the set-up and restart the router. A solution I found was to connect the plug to my powerline wifi extender instead (TP-LINK TL-WPA8630P). If that had not worked the plugs would have gone back.

Options
Related Articles