3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
689 Reply
Re:3 way Dimmer switch?
2021-09-15 18:01:08

@jbr439 not assuming, hoping :)
If it's not firmawre, we will have to return it for sure.

Options
2021-09-15 18:20:48

@jbr439 

jbr439 wrote

jswfl09 wrote

....  I have 10 light switches and 4 plugs so far but if these don't work out it might be time to change to another platform.  ...

@jswfl09 Unfortunately, you're not the only one thinking along these lines. I have several TP-Link plugs and 5 TP-Link switches, but if this issue isn't resolved quickly, I'll have significant concern about TP-Link's commitment to the "Smart Home" and reevaluate my decision to make TP-Link products the basis of my smart(ish) home.

The fact that TP-Link was well behind the competition w.r.t. to having a 3-way dimmer switch was something of a red flag to begin with, but this apparent fiasco of a product debut just increases the red flag count by several fold.

@Carl Please get us some answers.

I don't get this "threat" to move to the competition.  Please transition to another brand.  If you find something you like recommend it. 

RE: Red flag -  How many "smart" dimmer multi-pole products are out there?  Sometimes a company needs to evaluate if a new SKU is justified. 

I don't get the toxicity... either buy it or don't.  Don't behave in a manner that makes Carl not want to engage with this niche community.  Your attitude doesn't reflect my views so don't ruin it for everyone.  

Options
2021-09-15 20:00:09

All part of a new product launch growing pains, and you can only imagine the timing of release of app updates, firmware updates, and hardware releases. Sounds like Amazon jumped the gun on the hardware side, but, hey, I said I wanted to be a part of any beta test! :) Sounds like I may get my wish.

Thanks Carl for keeping us informed as you have been able to. I'm sure it will all work out.

Options
2021-09-15 20:37:20

@BaumSquad 

Agree 100% on the threat-to-leave stuff. I've been happy enough with this product line (and have been waiting long enough for this particular product) that I'm more than happy to wait a little longer and get the kinks worked out.

As someone who has been building software for most of my life, I have a ton of sympathy for issues at product launch; I've let some pretty embarassing bugs make it to production. I have to say though... a switch that doesn't do the (literal) one thing it was designed to do is pretty surprising. A bug like always turning on to the brightest setting (versus the last chosen brightness level), or an issue where each press of the + or - dimmer button increments by two jumps instead of one -- those seem like bugs that, while bad, are at least forgivable. The switch failing to turn and keep a light on really makes you wonder what kind of testing this went through (these were boxed, sealed and shipped -- the fact that Amazon jumped the gun doesn't really change things).

Options
2021-09-15 20:47:53

Glad people agree.  The "jump the gun" by Amazon I think has nothing to do with the issues people are experiencing.  I'm getting my switch today and will report in.

I think it has to do with the release embargo to ensure all retailers can "launch" at the same day to be fair.  I happen to be a developer myself - when a release embargo is set, then the engineering team can work on the day zero patch to address issues that were happening at manufacturing.

I'm positive these issues were known but the team was counting on a patch for September 22.  Because of the nature of these devices being "smart", it can be assumed that all customers would be pushing a firmware update.

That is why I don't think we should be returning the product without an official response on these issues.  I predict by Oct the kinks would be worked out.  This is likely an issue that can be solved through software (because the nature of it being dimmable tells me that the app should also set the threshold at the software level).

Options
2021-09-15 20:48:48

@slikrik98 and all

Thanks for all the discussion.As a Product Manager who has launched a number of new tech products over the years I am surprised these would get out with such a major flaw. I am certain they will get this addressed.

We often say that some customers wait for a while when a new product comes out to let others work the bugs out. This seems like a typical example of this.

I like my other TP Link Kasa devices, and prefer to work with one app for all my smart devices,, so I will anxiously await news that they have this resolved. We have waited this long, a little longer is ok.

I do wonder how Amazon gets their hands on this before it is even released by TP Link.

Options
2021-09-15 20:54:56

@SteveSJ 

Every major retailer gets it early.. but with a release embargo it's launched simultaneously.  It's not possible for the supplychain to coodinated simultanous delivery.  Best Buy already has the units but Amazon jumped the gun.  Sometimes this jumping the gun is intentional so that the product gets stress tested in the real world.  Early adopters are the best beta users.  Read my comment on day zero patching.

Options
2021-09-15 21:29:04

I don't get this "threat" to move to the competition.  Please transition to another brand.  If you find something you like recommend it. 

RE: Red flag -  How many "smart" dimmer multi-pole products are out there?  Sometimes a company needs to evaluate if a new SKU is justified. 

I don't get the toxicity... either buy it or don't.  Don't behave in a manner that makes Carl not want to engage with this niche community.  Your attitude doesn't reflect my views so don't ruin it for everyone.  

@KS230 What you call a "threat", I call a statement of fact. I would prefer to deal with one vendor as this gives me a consistent look and feel for the appearance and function of my light switches, and the corresponding software (app). Dealing with 2 or more vendors does not provide that consistency. And, I really don't want to have to (probably repeatedly) explain to family members that, for example, the dining room single pole dimmer switch works differently from the living room 3-way dimmer switch. It's that simple.

As well, if you think that's toxic, then count yourself fortunate that you have apparently not had to deal with unhappy clients/customers when things go sideways. They can make my blurb  seem like a love letter.

What we have here is *not* a normal situation, and I can confidently say that if the company I work for did a hardware or software release akin to what we apparently have here, it would be considered a *major* fail.

I apologize to Carl if anything I wrote may have been construed as criticism of him. That was not at all my intent.  And, I do greatly appreciatate the fact that he engages with us. He's been great. Having a rep that actually listens and responds is nothing to sneeze at. I'm also happy with the TP-Link switches and plugs I currently have. Ironically, that's what makes this situation so maddening.

Options
2021-09-15 23:56:32

Hello Everyone,  Just a small update before the end of the day.  The team is evaluating your feedback and working on a beta firmware they hope will address this concern.  As soon as it is avialable I will share it here.  More updates to follow as soon as I have them.

Options
2021-09-17 04:58:23

@KS230 

It's not a threat. As somebody who has several thousands of dollars of TP-link products in multiple residences that I own and even more in my commercial customers' businesses I'm allowed to come on here and say what I think. You can take your self-righteousness and find a different platform to project it on. I'm pretty sure when you posted your petty comment you were just thinking about yourself and a couple of switches/plugs. Typical and I hope you enjoyed your few seconds of ostentation.

With that aside, it is rare to have somebody from or with the backing of corporate who actually mans the communication channels. @Carl  please note that many people here appreciate the fact that you are the liaison between the company and us lowly people who buy/use the products.  Being in IT for over 20 years I have held this role previously so I understand every aspect of it.  Thank you for providing information to us and always remember that there are a lot more of us out here that rely on this information for decision making and purchasing than any market study or competitive analysis will provide.

Options
Related Articles