3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
689 Reply
Re:3 way Dimmer switch?
2021-09-18 23:26:26

Correction: it won't hold the wifi connection. It let's me go through the setup but never gets back to solid green, keeps reverting to green/orange now. It was connected for a while...

Options
2021-09-19 00:56:12

Never mind.  Switch was defective... seemed like the whole thing was toast from the start.  I swapped out both switches for a new one and now I'm in the same boat as everyone else, with the instant-shutoff if I go to 92% brightness or higher.  Seems like 91% is the same as 100% anyway, so maybe the firmware just has 100% calibrated wrong and the instant-shutoff thing is because it went over some safety threshold.  It's definitely buggy but since it'll rarely be at 100% for me I can live with it until the firmware gets caught up.  I did get one firmware update as soon as it powered up, now I'm at 1.0.8. 

Options
2021-09-19 02:10:37

I have been watching this thread and must thank all the early adopters for their work on this product.  Yes issues are there, perhaps the development lab did not have enough real world environmental features to truly ring out the full exposure a product like this would be exposed to.  I am thrilled that the "Coming Soon" is more real than ever and if I was at my second home where I installed these I too would have purchased a couple of HS230 kits to slog through the growing pains of a necessary product line addition.  As a software/firmware developer I can attest that the lab and the QC lab do not always expose a product to what is out there in the real world.  Things like pulse code modulation and power line carrier communication come into focus and a mixture of these with the fact that each LED light has its own noisy power supply pulsing away could make a very interesting and exciting work environment for a product like this.

Options
2021-09-19 12:39:53

I started this thread many years ago. Just got two sets from Amazon which I ordered before it became evident they don't work well.  While I appreciate those that are spending the time trying to figure these out, I'm returning and will wait for plug and play version. 

i mean, really. 

Options
2021-09-19 16:35:01

I would wait for the firmware patch to roll out.  Read my previous post on day zero patches.  The product is not "officially" out yet.

Options
2021-09-20 17:58:00

@SteveSJ 

We get this request a lot.  I am not sure how viable the request is but as always any time we get a request I will make sure the design team knows about it.  The more requests and hopefully the more they see there is a market for it.  The Other option I have suggested is Vinyl stickers in various colors.  This way we are able to control manufacture costs while giving customers more of what they would like.  Would you see value in that option?

Options
2021-09-20 18:00:16

Hello Everyone,

No new updates yet.  Just wanted to let you all know we are staying on top of this and I will have an update as soon as I receive it.  

Options
2021-09-20 18:25:58 - last edited 2021-09-20 18:26:36

@Carl Are you able to definitively say at this time that the problem will be fixable by a firmware update? I.e., that it is definitely not a hardware related problem? The answer may matter to people who are wondering whether to return their switches now or soon.

Thanks in advance.

Options
2021-09-20 19:46:23

@jbr439 I would like to parrot this as well. Would save me the hassle with Amazon... and or TPlink RMA process. ATM i can just drop these off at Kohls Amazon return and walk away. Mega easy, VS the post office or something later when they are ineligible.

Options
2021-09-20 21:53:26

@jbr439 

I honestly can't say with 100% certainty because I am not directly involved in the testing right now, so I am more of a middle man.  From what I have gathered is that the do believe its software related but until they tell me what the cause and fix is I can't say for certain.  All I can say is as I get more infromation  will share that here.  

Options
Related Articles