3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
689 Reply
Re:3 way Dimmer switch?
2021-11-09 15:22:09 - last edited 2021-11-09 15:56:59

@AMDPower,

I see they're back on Amazon.  v1.10 has fixed several issues and the switch is finally usable, but there are still others - just not show stoppers.  Most of what bothers me now is the implementation of the supposed "3-way" switch.  It isn't really a 3-way at all.  It's a smart switch with a remote control that doesn't use the traveler wires in a true 3-way configuration where either traveler carries full line voltage.  Therefor it can't be used with 4-way switches that switch the line/circuit between traveler wires. Since the remote only signals the main switch and doesn't have any "smarts", it should be possible to allow for multiple remotes on a circuit where every 4-way switch is replaced by a remote that signals the main to dim or turn on/off.  It wouldn't be ideal like the Lutron remotes that support up to 10 in a circuit mixed with 4-way switches, but I'd be willing to purchase separate KS230 remotes to replace all my 4-way switches if the option was available.  My worst case scenarios are circuits with three or four 4-ways along with two 3-way switches on either end. 

Since the KS230 remote is "dumb" and the nightlight is always on, I wish there was a toggle to simply turn the round "indicator" nightlight off.  This would be especially nice since its several times brighter than the other Kasa switches next to it.

Here is an updated issues list. Out of the 9 issues, 6 remain, but 2 may be manufacturing hardware defects and 1 is likely by "design".  Two may have been fixed with the v1.10 firmware update which would leave only 2 known issues and an irritating super bright and always on remote indicator light.   

1. The round nightlight is always on regardless of whether the lights are on or off.

(@Carl, is this "by design" since the remote is only a "dumb" switch?  Can a switch be added to disable the remote indicator light altogether?)

2. The remote round nightlight is much brighter than other Kasa switches including the main switch.

(@Carl, is this a manufacturing defect?  Can a toggle be added to turn the light off since it's several times brighter than the other Kasa switches?)  

3. The dim level LEDs on the main switch still don't all light up to the left like all the other Kasa switches with the v1.10 update installed.

(sloppy since the KS230 doesn't behave the same as all the other Kasa switches, but not a huge deal)

4. Long Pressing including custom settings works but Double Tapping still doesn't and behaves like a single tap to turn the lights on or off.

(Again, not a show stopper but sloppy.  I use the double click to mimic the Lutron switches which quickly turn the lights to 100% brightness and the long press to put them back to their preset dim level at 40%)

5. Lights occasionally turn off on their own.

(I'm still observing them, but it appears that this may have been fixed in the v1.10 firmware release)

6. WiFi issue?  The switches freeze up and are reported as out of range or network disconnected in the Kasa app and need to be restarted from the main switch. However, they are still showing on the network from a Google mesh router with the same DHCP IP lease and a speed test shows less then .5Mbps throughput.

(I'm also still observing this one since it took several weeks to first occur after installation in the first place, but the switch's WiFi signal tests stronger at 24Mbps after the v1.10 installation and seems to be staying connected to the network.  @Carl, can I get a replacement if this issue persists since I'm way outside Amazon's return policy now?)

Options
2021-11-09 16:00:11

@Connu 

Item 1 for me is the opposite. It's always off on the satellite and it works fine on the main swi

Options
2021-11-09 16:05:35 - last edited 2021-11-09 16:07:25

Hi @Aksdenn,

That's weird, but explains why no one else seems to be complaining that the light is always on.  I wish I could turn it off on the remote since it looks like it's not a power "indicator" light at all and is way too freaking bright compared to the Kasa switches right next to it.  Is yours the same or has it never been on?  Maybe I got a bad one?

Options
2021-11-10 03:00:37 - last edited 2021-11-10 03:30:37

@Exx1976

The remote switch needs constant power to run the smart electronics. The trick with the kit, one traveler supplies power for the electronics while the other the dimmed voltage. The selling point for the kit, the remote switch can signal to adjust the dimmed voltage while remaining smart. Impossible with standard wiring.

Let's remove emotion from the communities, software can always be made better.

Justin

Options
2021-11-10 06:33:55 - last edited 2021-11-10 06:35:55

@Exx1976 

The single-traveler + remote is not quite non-standard. Granted, it is not standard for traditional switches. But I've seen this sort of configuration for a few other brands' smart switches, including Leviton. Believe me, when you wish you could do a 3-way but don't have enough travelers, these can be super useful. For that matter, I don't understand why they need travelers at all. I think all these setups should be installed like standard SPST switches in the switch box with the load wire. Then it would associated in software with any number of multi-way switches which communicate to that one at the load wire. Dimming could be done in software too.

Options
2021-11-10 14:25:33
Options
2021-11-10 14:54:31

Hi @justinmfischer,

I agree 100% with @Exx1976.  I didn't think his post was emotional at all.  That was a seriously botched rollout with firmware that simply didn't work.  I bought three kits back in late August.  Two were dead out of the box and the third wasn't working until this week when I upgraded the firmware to v1.10.  It still has a number of mostly minor issues as you can see in my previous post.  I've rolled with this past the Amazon return window and have even become a beta tester for TP-Link.

The Kasa line is excellent, but this kit is definitely subpar.  Even without the bugs and the crazy bright always-on nightlight, the hardware implementation is pretty disappointing.  The fact that it can't support circuits with 4-way switches or, at the very least, support multiple remote switches for the 4-ways is a real bummer and still leaves the Kasa line behind others like Lutron whose switches support a combination of multiple remotes and 4-way switches in the same circuit.  Of course, Lutron switches are the Cadillac of the industry and cost many times more than Kasa switches so I can't complain too loudly.  smiley

Options
2021-11-11 19:51:36

@Connu it was never on

Options
2021-11-11 19:57:19

@Aksdenn

So strange that I'm the only one with a remote switch that's always on rather than always off.  How can that even be?  @Carl, any idea?  Is there a way to toggle it to always be on or off?

Options
2021-11-11 23:43:48

@echo954 

many like me watch this link and hope for a 3way dimmer that merges well in the Kasa product line.  Thanks to many here you can read how beta is moving mainstream 

I just purchasd two sets to work with from Amazon but I do not think my install will not go uneventful and firmware updating will move the product forward

if you can wait it will be easer to realize a more polished product

good luck

Options
Related Articles