3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
689 Reply
Re:3 way Dimmer switch?
2021-12-06 14:50:43

@Carl 

So does that mean your team is confident all the issues we are having (including the different status light brightness) are fixable by future firmware updates? 
Or maybe there is a hardware revision and I'm just unlucky to get a 1.0 version kit?
I tried to ask this in a new post but it must have got deleted lol, makes me wonder if I should just return the kits I have installed...

Options
2021-12-06 15:28:13 - last edited 2021-12-06 18:56:47

Hi @Slowpoke,

Which post of @Carl's were you referencing?  My understanding from Carl is that everything that could be fixed for this hardware release has been done.  Some of these stability fixes were at the expense of previously working features like double-clicks and a nightlight that can be toggled on and off like the other Kasa switches.  These issues were caused by the v1.09 fix to mitigate hardware stability issues, but the extra bright nightlight is definitely a hardware/manufacturing/design issue.

Personally, I had 2 bad KS230 kits out of three and sent them back to Amazon.  I purchased a fourth kit to see if I had a bad remote switch and it was also too bright.  I decided to send that one back too.  Carl says that TP-Link will allow RMAs for the v1 harware when and if v2 hardware comes out while the originals are under warranty.  Unfortunately, technical and customer support don't seem to know anything about this or an upcoming new hardware version.  I'd keep the installed one like I did to beta test and send any others back for now.  Of course, I have fun with this stuff so I have a bit more patience than others.

Options
2021-12-06 16:58:35

@Slowpoke 

My understanding is they can't fix hardware version 1.0. If you purchased from Amazon they currently have an extended return window so I'm holding on to mine for now but I intend to return it if the problems truly can't be fixed OTA. I've got the night light issue and have also noticed the dimmer status light behavior is inconsistent with the non 3 way dimmer. It's not a huge deal, but I specifically did my entire house with all the same brand of switch for consistent looks and operation and this product does not deliver that.

Options
2021-12-06 17:01:29

Hey @Connu!

I was referring to @Carl's comment on stock / shipment situation. I thought the message would be automatically quoted in the reply but I must be wrong.

He mentioned that there are new shipments coming in so I was wondering if they have firmware fixes ready to address all the issues.

I already have 2 kits installed. crying RMA means I will be out of light switches for couple of days or I have to pay extra for TP to ship it first right.... 

Options
2021-12-06 18:04:59

@Mikeo2 

Hi Mike.  What I am doing with these are taking the user information for those who report the these and referring them to the Engineering team.  I'll do the same for you and they should be reaching out to you directly.  I'll use the email address from your community account. 

Options
2021-12-06 18:10:30

@Slowpoke 

I'm being told that they can be, but also there are certain features that were removed and will be able to be re-added until a new hardware revision.  Also the always one LED on the sat. unit won't be fixed until a new version. 

Options
2021-12-06 18:45:09 - last edited 2021-12-06 18:59:09

Hi, @Slowpoke,

This forum only adds the name of the person you're quoting withuot the quote.  It makes things easier to read but it can be difficult to know what was being addressed in the first place.

The delay right now for almost all of the Kasa line appears to be supply chain issues like so many other things recently.  Unfortunately, @Carl had posted a number of posts back that it wasn't a delay to release an improved hardware version which made me very sad.  The kit works well enough that I'm leaving mine for now, but I'll uninstall it with a fixed v2 when they come out and then I'll buy a half dozen more for my 3-ways in other parts of the house.  I'm sure it'll be awhile while though assuming TP-Link wants clears out the remainder of the bad v1 kits.

It would be cool if TP-Link let us keep the installed switches with proof of purchase and send new ones out without an RMA since they know the existing ones are subpar at best.

Options
2021-12-06 18:47:16

Hey @TimKasa,

I didn't get an extended return window from any of the KS230 kits I purchased from Amazon.  Are sure about that?  Maybe this is a recent thing?

Options
2021-12-06 21:44:08

@echo954 completly agree.  Would love this option for my basement.

Options
2021-12-07 14:45:43 - last edited 2021-12-07 14:46:18

Connu wrote

This forum only adds the name of the person you're quoting withuot the quote.  It makes things easier to read but it can be difficult to know what was being addressed in the first place.

@Connu - Sure you can! See? :D

Select reply to the post you want to quote, then when the reply text editor comes up, look alomh the toolbar to the far right and see the 'reply with quote' tool

That inserts the entire quoute, but you can edit as you choose to just include the salient part to which youre replying (as I did with yours) 

Options
Related Articles