3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
689 Reply
Re:Re:Re:3 way Dimmer switch?
2022-01-08 21:16:50

EngiBeer wrote

... Could you confirm that when v2 hardware exists with solutions to these issues, I'll be able to exchange all my v1 kits?  ...

Great question, would be great to confirm. I have 1 set installed which I'd want to replace and could use 2 more.

Options
Re:Re:Re:3 way Dimmer switch?
2022-01-10 18:33:27

@EngiBeer @ChrisNorthNJ 

I would love to be able to say yes, however it is at this time beyond my abilities, or the abiliites of any support agent.  We simply can't say with 100% certainty.  We are being told that Version 2 should be fully functional, but unit it is released and tested I just can't confrim.  

As for replacements, that is a different story.  We can in most cases offer replacements once the V2 is available.  I say in most cases because it will be determined by the warranty period and if its still valid.  I do beleive the V2 should be available before any warranties expire though.  Personally I would wait to purchase any more units until V2 is available it just makes the whole process easier for you.   

Options
Re:3 way Dimmer switch?
2022-01-10 18:57:30

I haven't posted in a while and thought I'd give an update.  Firmware v1.0.10 has been very stable and I haven't had any connectivity issues since upgrading from v1.0.9.  I did have a major issue yesterday, however. Nearly all of my HS220 switches and four or five Kasa plugs reset on their own.  None of my Kasa bulbs or the KS230 kit were affected.  I was using the latest Kasa app to provision a previously used Kasa plug.  That went well, but I noticed an hour or so later that most of my lights were at full brightness and all lights that were at full brightness had Kasa switches or plugs that were flashing between a green and orange Wi-Fi indicator.  I tried everything to try to get them to reconnect including restarting WiFi and restarting the switches.  Nothing worked and I finally had to reprovision all of them from the Kasa app including the device name and all the presets and advanced features.  It was a ton of fun on my Sunday afternoon.  WTF? 

TP-Link

It took hours to clean things up.  Mercifully, I found that once they were renamed the same as before, they started working in Alexa without any reinstallation there necessary.  This even worked when I gave them temporary names to begin with since I didn't want to take more time to match MAC numbers on the physical switches to those in the app to be sure where each newly provisioned switch was.  This allowed me to turn lights on and off to locate a switch before renaming it to the previous Kasa and Alexa device name.

Has anyone else had this happen?  @Carl, any ideas?

Options
2022-01-11 01:23:15

@Connu 

Geez that does not sound like a fun Sunday at all.  I have several bulbs, one plug and a switch myself, along with several cameras.  I did not see anything happen on my end so I don't think it was an issue on the service.  I also have not seen any reports from System Engineering or the Support team with any issues that popped up. What i will do is forward this over to the Kasa and QA teams and once I have word i will let you know.

Options
2022-01-11 04:16:42

@Connu 

No issues with our numerous bulbs, plugs, and switches either.

Options
2022-01-11 16:30:15

Thanks @titanvex and @Carl.

It hadn't occurred to me that it could have been something on the cloud side of things that might have happened to others.  It seemed to me that something went wrong using the Kasa app to provision the HS103 plug.  I thought the plug was provisioned but it kept flashing blue and orange.  I suspect that's also when the other plugs and switches also started flashing green/blue and orange, but I didn't notice right away.  I have a lot of Wi-Fi devices including Lutron switches, 6 Google Wi-Fi mesh routers, a couple of Roombas, 3 Tailwind garage door controllers, several Ecobee thermostats, laptops, phones, and a bunch of other stuff.  Nothing else reset or disconnected from Wi-Fi or the Internet and Alexa didn't report any issues other than the Kasa devices becoming unresponsive.  Something went very wrong with the Kasa app device provisioning.  I have 48 Kasa devices installed.  Is there a limit to the number of devices Kasa or the Kasa app can handle?  I have an HS220 to install and I'm a bit gun-shy.  I'll keep you posted.

Options
2022-02-02 14:33:18

@Carl  Is version 2 roadmap still alive and well given the reports that TP Link has discontinued the Kasa line in the UK? I have over 50 Kasa devices installed in my home and really want a good working 3-way dimmer, but am afraid if the line is discontinued in the US, then it's just going to be money down the drain. Any ideas about what's happening in regards to the discontinuation of Kasa outside the US? Will the Kasa app be supported afterwards or will there be a viable solution for those of us who already have so many devices?

Options
2022-02-02 17:28:51

@nedmiester 

Hello Ned, 

I actually do not have any information about products or product plans outside the US.  This community and the support I am able to provide only pertains to the US.  In the US I can say that Kasa is still an active brand and we still have plans for products to be released throughout 2022, including the KD110 doorbell and the KS230 V2.  Outside of the US you can try to create a post on our global community at community.tp-link.com/en or email global support at support@tp-link.com.

Options
2022-02-02 17:33:44

@Carl 

Thanks for the additional data.

Can you tell us when the KS230 v2 hardware will be made available please?

Thanks,

Bill Suarez

Options
2022-02-02 21:04:45

@Carl Any word on launch dates for V2 KS230? Also, any plans for a 4-way dimmer product? 

Options
Related Articles