Kasa App absolutely sucks. Very dissatisfied.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-09 14:18:20 - last edited 2021-09-28 05:39:41
Model: KC100  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.23

I have absolutely NO issue with my KC100 Camera. It works perfectly. No issues with connecting. All lights are exactly as expected. The Kasa App on the otherhadn is horrendous. I hate this company's app and will likely NEVER purchase again because of the app. It RARELY allows me to see my camera and every single recorded video shows as "Clip Unavailable" because something went wrong while uploading. Trying to view my camera live just shows blurred screen with load symbol until it says "Connection Error" unable to connect to server and to make sure I have internet connection. Camera displays as working perfectly and my interenet works on all other devices in the house. Vary rarely am I actually able to live stream and never am I able to see recorded videos. Previously chatted with support and was told my upload speed may not be enough (it is). Completely disappointed with this company.  

Options
8 Reply
Re:Kasa App absolutely sucks. Very dissatisfied.
2019-08-09 20:10:08 - last edited 2021-02-18 16:56:12

@Yilioi 

It seems that the signal may be an issue since nothing seems to be working or in other words the camera may be too far from your router.

Place the camera in the same room of your router to test, see if it is more responsive. If so, then you need to move it closer.

Looking at the signal strength of the camera will also help in seeing if the signal is not strong enough. Go into Kasa, tap on the camera, then go to device settings (top right), then go to device info. Where is says network into, tap it, and the network name shoudl change to dBm. If the range is anywhere from -40 dBm to -60 dBm that is good. If you are around the -70s dBm that might be whats causing the drops.

Now, if you do have the camera in the same room and experience what you originally mentinoed, then there might be an issue with the camera itself.

Options
Re:Re:Kasa App absolutely sucks. Very dissatisfied. - NOT ME!
2019-08-31 22:21:28 - last edited 2021-02-18 16:56:12

I've got three KC100'w running in the house and havenot had an iota of trouble. It does sound like a signal strenght issues and the wonderfull Kasa app has a way to check that  - go to Main Menu, Cameras, select your camera, then the setting icon, then device and tap on your network - there is your speed to the camera. An excellant trouble shooting feature.

You may need a wifi extender or a mesh system. I went to Google Mesh (2) and dithched my two old router and extenders. Love it.

Hope you solve your issue - when in range, these are great reasobblt proced camers,

Options
2019-09-05 17:16:58 - last edited 2021-02-18 16:56:12

I am very disappointed with their support and attention to detail with a smart home product and app. I was unable to login to my Kasa cloud account to manage my videos easier than on the app. Couldn't. Support indicated that you can not. I asked if you could delete the videos in the app NOT one at a time. NO YOU CANNOT. That's not very smart for a smart home app. So, I am evaluating these for a couple of job installs for a couple of clients... we will see what happens in the next 25 days since that's the time frame I have to return this product to the store. If they can't make a simple change in their app to select multiple videos to delete then they shouldn't be in the business or smart apps.

Options
Re:Re:Kasa App absolutely sucks. Very dissatisfied.
2019-09-05 17:22:47 - last edited 2021-02-18 16:56:12

JWPearson wrote

I am very disappointed with their support and attention to detail with a smart home product and app. I was unable to login to my Kasa cloud account to manage my videos easier than on the app. Couldn't. Support indicated that you can not. I asked if you could delete the videos in the app NOT one at a time. NO YOU CANNOT. That's not very smart for a smart home app. So, I am evaluating these for a couple of job installs for a couple of clients... we will see what happens in the next 25 days since that's the time frame I have to return this product to the store. If they can't make a simple change in their app to select multiple videos to delete then they shouldn't be in the business or smart apps.

@JWPearson 

There are plenty of other features that customers have reqeusted and we forward all to our devs for consideration. I can tell you in the next 25 days those features will not be implemented as we just came out with a update the past week. 

Please continue to share your feedback as we always look for ways to improve our app.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Kasa App absolutely sucks. Very dissatisfied.
2019-09-05 17:49:01 - last edited 2021-02-18 16:56:12

Ok... Thanks for the quick update. I guess it goes back and I try a different manufacture with a more solid base platform. To be honest the option to delete multiple videos at once should have been created with the application. I don't know what you software team was thinking. I have had many camera software packages and that is just a standard. I guess you guys wanted to step outside the box of not be as efficient and/or convient as the others. For goodness sake... I can't even access anything via a browser. What the heck is that! Not so "Smart Home".

Thanks for your cander. So, does that mean since you came out with an update on 8/25 that another is not going to come out around the same time this month? Looking back on the Version History for the app, TP-Link has not skipped a month to where there hasn't been an update. Or, is it just that this feature may not be as pressing as removing support for a prior iOS version? Or, Works with Nest feature? People suggested those fetures I guess...

Reguardless... update me when you get to updates that actually improve the product so it is more user friendly and not so NOT Smart...

Thanks again

Options
2019-11-08 12:59:26 - last edited 2021-02-18 16:56:12

I have two KC200 cameras that are at -47 dBm and -55 dBm and both of them have been giving the "Clip Unavailable" error since midday yesterday.

Options
2020-03-04 12:44:07 - last edited 2021-02-18 16:56:12

Same here, using the kasa cam 120. Signal is around 60db. For the last 3 days uploading clips keep failing. Already did a modem reset and camera reset. 

Watching live feed is not a problem.

I am considering to return the product and ask for a refund.

Regards,

Tom

Options
2021-09-27 09:17:57

@Yilioi Same!!! The app sucks. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 7

Views: 4706

Replies: 8