Do smart plugs still execute schedules when internet is down?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Do smart plugs still execute schedules when internet is down?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
17 Reply
Re:Do smart plugs still execute schedules when internet is down?
2020-08-20 13:38:16

Tony wrote

@Muzi 

Was the device used for testing a device that turns on right when it get power? For example, I used a USB power adapter to earphones so I can tell when there is or isn't power.

If you use a TV for example that still requires you to press the power button even after it has power to it then the plug can't turn that on.

@Tony I can hear the electromagnetic relay click but I'm using a lamp to check. The ON/OFF verification is OK, the problem is something else. I will make some test again.

Options
2020-09-30 09:16:05 - last edited 2020-09-30 14:07:12

@oodly How's the test? Planning to also get this Smart Plug to turn on/off the Router at scheduled time early morning and late evening.

Options
2020-10-04 07:30:24 - last edited 2020-10-04 07:59:58

Bought three Tapo Smart Plugs (1 x Tapo P105 and 2 x P100). Schedules don't work if Internet is down. That sucks because in our country, most current Internet connections are problematic and quite intermittent. So these "smart" plugs just lost its usefulness and value.

Options
2020-11-17 17:55:52

@RendCycle 

I have my router and mesh hub both plugged into a tp-link HS103. At 459am, both devices go off and a minulte later, they both power back on. The schedule is downloaded to the smart plug to avoid the devices from staying off. Hope this helps

Options
2020-11-18 00:50:00 - last edited 2020-11-18 03:19:35

@oodly Kasa are TP-Link's premium range of smart home solutions. Therefore, I guess they are more feature complete. These Tapo products line, are cheaper and probably has missing feature sets compared to those with the Kasa brand. Anyway, based on my personal tests of four Tapo P100 and one P105, the timing schedules set within the smart plugs will still work without live Internet connection and WiFi. But the plugs will require both to be accessed and managed through the Tapo App since the user will be required to be logged-in into the TP-Link Cloud. But of course, flow of electricity is required.

Aside from this, having experienced a real power outage in our area recently due to a typhoon, I was also able to test these plugs in that scenario too. Upon return of power after more than 8 hours without, three of the four smart plugs plugged into a UPS (& 1 into a Power Strip) had an error and needed to be re-plugged then manually turned on by pressing their button. I am guessing there is a big difference if the smart plugs are plugged into a UPS vs. directly to an electrical outlet. The single Tapo P100 plugged directly into an electrical outlet managed to continually work without any re-plugging and turning on.

Note: At this time, I've already returned the Tapo P105 and have bought additional two Tapo P100. One of my biggest worry actually is what if TP-Link Cloud goes down or what if the Tapo App becomes inaccessible in Google Play? These smart plugs will become worthless then.

Options
2021-02-20 03:23:08

@oodly I know this is an old thread, but this has *NOT* been my experience.  My internet has been out now for about 24 hours. Every single one of my eight Kasa Smart Plugs has 100% abandoned its schedule. They DO NOT keep a schedule without internet access.  

Options
2022-01-24 14:51:29

@oodly 

I've tried myself it but it doesn't work! I have seen yet another problem: if you have set a device in one time zone (e.g. a house in another country) and then add another device in another place with different time zone, the device (or app) follows only the 1st device time zone, so your schedule in the 2nd device will be off!

I find this amazing and unacceptable, having a supposedly "smart" device (in this case a "smart plug") with WiFi and a lot of features but that CANNOT work when it's not connected to the network! In that sense it's a big step backwards, when a simple and very cheap timer can do this with ease. Why don't these devices have an offline mode to execute a programmed schedule in the case the network (or WiFi) is off or unavailable?!

If any TP-LINK employee or representative reads this forum and has an answer (maybe it's possible to work offline but not clearly stated in the manuals...) we'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Options