Alexa and groups

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Alexa and groups

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Alexa and groups
Alexa and groups
2019-10-15 05:31:50

I have two smart plugs collected into a group. On the Kasa app all works fine, both individual plugs and the group turn on and off. With Alexa the individual plugs (lamp 1 and lamp 2) work fine, but the group (have tried an assortment of names) just gets an error message from Alexa. Any ideas?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Alexa and groups
2019-10-15 17:37:49

@TimGre 

What is the error message?

Once Alexa is linked up with Kasa, tell Alexa to discover devices. It will say if it discovered devices. When you then open Alexa, on the top right scroll to the right and select all devices, you shoudl see the plugs listed there.

From there, you hit the "+" on the top right and add the group then selecting the devices you want.

Options
2019-10-16 03:35:03

@Tony for example - the devices are called lamp 1 and lamp 2. They work fine. I created a group - have given it a variety of names - for example house. In the Kasa app I can turn on or off both via the group house. But if I say "Alexa turn off house" it says "do you mean lamp 1". Using discover in the Alexa app shows both lamps but not the group 

Options
2019-10-16 15:45:51

@TimGre 

Try to tell Alexa, "Turn off house lights".

I think Google Home is similar in referring to the group as lights.

Options
2019-10-16 20:41:54

@Tony same result. I also tried the Good night scene with no success 

Tim

Options
2019-10-17 13:55:59

Fixed it. I was creating the group in the Kasa app. When I created it in the Amazon Alexa app then it worked 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 701

Replies: 5

Related Articles