Smart plug keeps turning on at 12:46pm even though no scheduled event

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-05 18:45:56
Model: HS103  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.12

This mini plug keeps showing and executing a turn on action at 12:46pm every day. I looked in the schedule and there is no such event. I can't figure out why it does this and where to deactivate it.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Smart plug keeps turning on at 12:46pm even though no scheduled event
2019-11-05 23:41:09

@PeterI 

Send me a message of the email you are using on your Kasa account, and the MAC address of the device. If you tap on the plug, then go to device settings > device info it should have that info.

Options
2019-11-06 00:07:13

@Tony 

How do I send you the MAC and email privately?

FYI, I did a hard (10 sec) reset on that plug and reconfigured it. We will see tomorrow if the ghost on event is still there.

Options
2019-11-06 16:27:36

@PeterI 

The HS103 indicates it would constant send requets to the cloud. This usually happens if the signal is not great whre it is meaning it keeps reconnecting. Move the HS103 to a closer location.

Is the mini smart plug connecting to a range extender or to the router?

What you can also do is to swap the location of the HS105 and the HS103 and see if the issue follows the device or stays at the location.

One other thing to check is if you ever set up IFTTT which is a third party app completely different from Kasa.

Options
2019-11-06 17:18:36

@Tony 

It connects to a router, not a range extender. The closest router is in the basement, but is the Comcast cable modem/router that is 5Ghz, unless there is some way for me to activate 2.4 as well. The next closest is in the bedroom more or less above where the smart plug is (in family room). I am not sure what yu mean by swapping. I have 3 mini plugs but thought they were all the same. Is one better, and how do I know which is what model?

Thanks.

Options
2019-11-06 18:54:23

@PeterI 

You can look behind the plugs, the sticker label will tell you which is which. The 105 and 103 only differ in that the 105 does 15 amps, the 103 does less. For the plug that keeps turning on, move it to the same room of the router for a couple of days to see if distance is an issue.

I am pretty sure you have the 2.4GHz running as the plug are only able to connect to 2.4GHz, they do not have a 5GHz antenna.

Options
2019-11-07 16:47:44

@Tony 

Thanks, Tony. by the way, I have never had any add-on apps like IFTTT.

Since I did a hard reset the ghost 12pm-ish turn-on even has not recurred. I don't know to what extent these mini-plugs save events interally and to what extent they must get then dynamically from the internet. I suspect my plug  somehow came with an internally stored event that was purged when I did a hard reset. If that's a likely explanation I have fixed it.

I did manage to turn on 2.4 ghz in my basement router, which is a bit closer and stronger than the 2.4 router upstairs. I'll try to reconnect the plug in question to that router.

Is there any windows or browser app that can be used to configure these plugs, so I don't need to use my phone all the time?

Options
2019-11-07 17:31:47

@PeterI 

You will need to use the Kasa phone app. Our devices currently do not have an option to utilize a web browser.

Options
2020-11-30 11:54:37

@PeterI Hi 

im having the same problem there are no schedules and the smart plug keeps switching itself on it's attached to a radiator so it's eating up energy all day. Is there a way of preventing this and can I receive notification when it turn itself on. Thanks 

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 7026

Replies: 8