TP-Link refuses to honor Warranty

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-11-24 09:48:53
Model: HS100  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Can’t, unit won’t connect

Over the past 2 years I bought 10 smart plugs, a mix of HS100 and HS105. One of the HS100 units (Ver 1.7) failed and despite multiple attempts, I could not reflash it and get it to connect. After scouring multiple forums and wasting a lot of time, I decided to contact Customer Service. I explained what the issue was and CS kept on asking for the Firmware Version and Error Message I get when I try to connect ... I explained multiple times that the unit can't even connect let alone give me an error message. CS refused to consider my case unless I gave them an Error Message. It took them a lot of time to understand the issue and kept on suggesting/implying that it was User Error ... they could not comprehend that my other 9 units were working fine and I had no issue reprogramming them few times. By this time I had already submitted multiple documentation, including my receipt from Amazon and other 'non-sensical' information.

In any event, I was really aggravated/frustrated and they finally issued an RMA ... but asked that I ship the failed unit back and pay $15.00 for shipping. I explained (few times) that this made no sense for a unit that costs $20.00 but they would not bulge/comprehend. It was their policy, take it or leave it. If time is money, I had already wasted multiple times the $20 tag price of the failed unit already.

Has anyone else experienced such idiotic situation with their CS? If this is not to my satisfaction (and it looks like it won't), I am done with TP-link, will no longer buy any of their sub-par equipment, and will tell anyone willing to listen about my experience.

I, together with few friends, are working on Automating our homes with openHAB and were planning on investing more in TP-link, but this experience is truly a wake-up call.

Incidentally, I was shopping for smart switches yesterday at HomeDepot, there were few options but not TP-Link ... I asked one employee to help, and his answer was literally: we don't sell that cr*p here.

Options
5 Reply
Re:TP-Link refuses to honor Warranty
2019-11-25 20:03:43

@DrJB 

Thank you for your feedback, but there is inaccurate information that needs correcting.

Troubleshooting is required, there is no fast track in getting a RMA.

Once you get a RMA there are four options you can choose: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2605/

If you wanted the Advance Basic, that is $15. However, you can do Standard in which you ship the device using any carrier you see fit to us.

I can see why you wanted the Advanced Basic without needing to pay, but that is our policy.

Options
2019-11-25 20:52:37

@Tony 

No, what I shared is the EXACT information. There is nothing incorrect here. However, you work for TP-Link, and it's YOUR job to put whatever negative spin on the customer. It is exactly the same story/strategy your colleaguyes told me: They said I was doing something wrong ... How can I be doing something wrong with one unit and correct with 9 other units? Remember, I haver 10 such units!

You guys make it very difficult to honor a $20 warranty ... and end up with very unhappy customers. Sooner or later you'll end up with lost sales. Good luck to you finding a new job then.

The CS people asked me to give them an error message and firmware number. I cannot even connect to the unit, how can I even get you the information you're asking for?

I already wasted too much time on this, it is not worth it for you or me. 

One lesson I learned however: I'm never again buying TP-Link! Go ahead, keep the $20!

Options
2019-11-25 20:58:42

@Tony 

Just to clarify, I did not want the non-sensical 'advanced basic' without wanting to pay ... it is YOU, who are asking me to pay $15 shipping, for a $20 unit. By the time I add the shipping supplies, and the time it takes me to go to the post office (yes, my time is NOT free), it's way more than $20.

It's YOUR warranty policy that is STUPID ... NOT your customers.

Your warranty policy is meant to DISCOURAGE people from asking for their rights ... nothing less.

Luckily, in the USA, there are many options today ... your company must be really desperate with such policy.

Do not waste your time repeating the non-sensical stuff on your web-pages. 

Options
2020-11-20 16:01:57

@DrJB 

After multiple communications with TP-Link, they made it extremely difficult to get a replacement plug. I ended up giving away all my plugs (a specific model) to a donation stre nearby. Can't really understand the economics of having TP-Link reps engage in non-ending back and forth when the plug costs only $12.00.

Options
2021-01-24 14:27:32 - last edited 2021-01-24 14:36:47

@DrJB wow, that is shocking customer service. How can they even entertain charging any customer to return a device they manufactured (which failed) and then proceed to charge you or us the cost of a new device for postage to replace their failing hardware. 😂

That's effectively no warranty 🤔

I'm done with their home plugs; I just had one fail on me now, which is why I was here looking for a solution, but I won't bother now after learning what I have.

The funny thing is, the cheapo Chinese SonOff devices which I paid 5.99 each delivered from the other side of earth have long out lived my TP-Link Kasa devices.

My old Sonoff devices have also constantly received new updates, software upgrades and major in app upgrades and improvements above and beyond anything TP-Link has offered.

So I'm with you on this I'm done with this company.

More recently I've started going the ZigBee route from a bunch of manufacturers that offer Philips Hue app and hub compatibility, it's the way forward and very cost effective.

Even the likes of cheapo stores like Lidl and IKEA offer UK spec ZigBee devices now including hubs if you don't have a Hue one.  They also offer home kits which are all very cheap; some parts better than others obviously but at least if you want or need to return anything you can just walk in a store and change them out.

It's not a way forward paying more than the value of a new device to pay to return a product that has failed you. 

That's not good customers and it's certainly not good business practice. 

That's effectively a warranty avoidance scheme, because no one with any logical sense would go along with that when they can just as easy buy a new device locally and cheaper.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1009

Replies: 5