Chromecast Ambient Mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Chromecast Ambient Mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Chromecast Ambient Mode
Chromecast Ambient Mode
2020-01-10 22:03:14
Model: KC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.2.31

Hello all, 

Having trouble with my KC200.  It is installed and working fine as intended when viewed with KASA app.  Ive had it installed for months with very little issues.  

My problem is when I use Google assistant to cast it to a chromecast ambient mode interupts the stream.  It will play perfectly fine for about 5-6 minutes.

If I mirror my phone screen it plays fine with no interuptions....but also plays on my phone screen rendering phone useless.

If I plug my phone (Galaxy S10+) into a USB C to HDMI adaptor I can stream with Samsung Dex....but again phone is useless.  

The only way I can stream to a TV screen and still use my phone is casting thru Google Assistant.

I use the camera for our business so I also need to use phone for business purposes.  

As far as I can tell, ambient mode for the chromcast can not be disabled.   Is there anything else I can do?

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thank you!!

Options
7 Reply
Re:Chromecast Ambient Mode
2020-01-14 18:34:59

@Miro031 

Unfortuntely, ambient mode is something Google prevents you from disabling.

What is the model/generation of the Chromecast that you are using? And the model of your TV?

Options
2020-01-16 03:26:45

@Tony   Hi Tony thank you for responding!  I am using a Gen 2 Chromecast on an older Toshiba TV that does not have smart capabilities.  But I also tried it, just in case, on my TCL 6 series, and Samsung TV and all 3 do the same thing.

After talking with Google Chromecast support it sounds like it's not the Chromecast as ambient mode only activates when the stream stops.  

But the funny thing is, it also doesn't ask me if I'm still streaming either.  As it was described to me as the time out tp link builds in.  It just suddenly switches to a picture of the gen1 Chromecast and continues with other pictures on ambient mode.

It has asked me if I am stii streaming when connected thru USB type c to HDMI, and use Samsung Dex.  But it's random.  Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't ask at all.

And has never asked if I'm still streaming or interupts with ambient mode when just screen mirroring with the same Chromecast.

But both of those are just a version of screen mirroring one wirelessly and one plugged in.  But both make the phone unable to do other things.   

Any ideas?

Options
2020-01-16 22:10:59

@Miro031 

The live stream will work until 10 minutes, then cut off, similar when looking at the phone via Kasa. It could possibly be doing that here?

I'm sorry I didn't ask previously but do you happen to have a video of it happening?

Options
2020-01-21 21:25:45

@Tony  I stand corrected.  I went ahead and timed it.  It shuts off and switches to ambient mode at just shy of 10 minutes.  So I am guessing it is tied in with the built in "time out" that TP link puts on it.  However, it does NOT ask me if im still watching or streaming.  It just cuts off.

I went ahead and added a video.  Sorry its not very long, the forum limits it to 10MB.  But you can see it does not ask anything it just cuts off.  

This is the one and ONLY way these camera's support Google assistant.  I'm sure it has something to do with server bandwidth blah blah blah, but why is there a limit of time anyway?

Btw, when I do stream thru the app just on my phone.  It never times out....or asks if im still streaming.   

File:
Garage Cam.mp4Download
Options
2020-01-22 17:33:56

@Miro031 

Ya, the video cuts out due to the 10 minute limit on streaming live video.

The limit was put in place so the cloud servers do not become overloaded. 

Thank you for the video, I'll see if there is anything in the works as far as notification like in the Kasa app.

Options
2020-07-26 18:28:25

@Miro031 

Can't install the KASA app on the chromcast?

You install in the app and you log in and you're done! The time limitation would end, since you would use it from the chromcast app.

The other option is to buy a stick for the Android TV and that you can install the KASA app.

Try these alternatives and comment.

Options
2020-08-04 14:46:21

@eduytito  I was using an android phone, and a chromecast.  This works fine to screen cast without a time limit to the chromecast, but uses the screen on the phone as well.  

We dont have Android TV and wont be getting it.  Our household uses mostly Roku.  So, I am not familiar with the Android tv eco system.  Is the chromecast app you are referring to something on Android TV.....or are you referring to Google home app?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1384

Replies: 7