HS105 won't connect to wifi/app

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

HS105 won't connect to wifi/app

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
17 Reply
Re:HS105 won't connect to wifi/app
2020-12-15 21:34:55

@PNWNDR25  I'm new to all this.  I bought 2 HS105's from Best Buy 2 weeks ago (12/1/20) and after a few attempts (due to my unfamiliarity) managed to connect them to my home wifi.  I travel so I'm happy with them for controlling a few appliances at home remotely.  In fact, I was so happy I bought 4 more HS105s a few days ago, but I cannot get any of them to connect to my home network.  They all fail at the point where I put the wifi ID, psw into the App.

The only change I've made since the original install was that I upgraded my iPhone from IOS 13.x? to 14.2...and now my iPhone is warning me that my WPA2 psw is weak.  This is definitely an IOS change and was not there in IOS 13.x.

I have several ideas before I return these devices.  I'll get my iPad and use that to try and connect.  I'll go over a friends house and try their wifi network with both my iPhone and iPad.  The last option is to reset my wifi router.  I'm afraid that I'll lose the original 2 mini-switches that I installed.

I am hopeful that TP-Link will beef up the App for diagnostics on these connection fails.

Options
2020-12-15 21:49:30
I did a search on "IOS 14.2" and found this post: KP400 IPS 14.X / New Router couldn't add until I used another iPhone with IOS 12.4.9 2 weeks ago Model: KP400 Hardware Version: V2 Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Hello I created this post to hopefully safe someone some painful time. I bought a new Wifi 6 router and had to re-program all my devices. After setting the KP400 to factory it would not allow me to add my network. I was using and Iphone 6S with IOS 14.2 After trying for about a day on and off, I decided to use my work Iphone6 (IOS 12.4.9) and everthing worked. Back on my Iphones 6S I see the devices again. So I am assuming it is and IOS 14.X issue, but perhaps it could have been solved by deleting the app and then re-downloading it. Hope this helps someone. Thanks
Options
2020-12-20 18:06:46
So the problem is IOS 14.2. I used my iPad which is on IOS 13.x and I was able to register and link the 4 new HS105s to my network...... so that solved the problem for me.
Options
2020-12-24 20:02:50

I have two HS105 Minis that have recently started behaving like indicated in this thread. There have been no changes to my wireless network (configuration, the position of router, firmware) but these devices, including one of two active HS200 switches, have started dropping off and not coming back online.

I have factory reset both, uninstalled and reinstalled Kasa application (Android) but am no unable to reconfigure them.

During installation, I have the amber/blue lights, I am able to connect to the devices (TP-Link_Smart Plug_E515, for example), select my home network and join (phone switches back to home wifi, but the failure occurs at the "connecting smart plug to your home network" step. The device flickers blue, but is unable to connect to the network.

I am running a DLink DIR-867 in SmartConnect wireless mode (autoconfigure 2.4 and 5Ghz networks for channel, speed, etc.) which it has been since installation.

Are there additional troubleshooting documentation that I can go through? I have tried manually configuring channels and channel width, WPA security and all...to no avail.

It seems like there are several others whose HS105's have simply stopped working...has anyone figured this out?

Options
2020-12-25 00:38:11

@Frick156 

All of my HS105's are still operating fine.  However, I do recall when I installed the last 4 switches, there was a moment where the App asked me if I wanted to upgrade the firmware and I did so for all 4. 

The only other comment I have is somewhere, like in the Install Manual (which I found online...) it said the mini-switches have to be on a 2.4Ghz network.  You mention a 5Ghz network, so you may want to check that.

I would take a switch or two and install them on another wifi network and see how that goes.  It's hard to troubleshoot these problems without some good software tools.

Options
2021-01-05 20:48:33

@PNWNDR25 

Just an update to my issues with HS105 connectivity...

I replaced my single router with a Google Nest Wifi mesh solution and have had zero connectivity issues with the HS105. FOr this reason, I believe the issue was with my network infrastructure. 

This was concerning as there was no hardware or firmware updates to the infrastructure. Nor, were any changes made to its layout. The only things I believe it could have been were

• Partial failure of the routers wifi components
  • New Wifi signals from neighbours.

I did use an application from Google Play called WiFi Analyzer that assisted with finding a clearer channel for my WiFi signals. 

Hope this helps someone else...

Options
2021-01-29 10:11:23

@VT3287 

I had the same issue with 2 out of 3 of my devices. I had deleted all groups and devices from kasa and Alexa to reconfigure living space. But, same as others here, was not able to connect to WiFi after. Came across hint on tp-link page for setup. It says you can manually connect to unit via WiFi settings. So when I got to part where you confirm the unit is flashing orange and blue, before clicking next, I went to WiFi settings and connected manually to unit. Then went back to kasa app to finish setup. Hope it will solve your issue too.

Options