Anyway to automate Kasa smart plugs so they turn on when walking in to a certain room!?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Anyway to automate Kasa smart plugs so they turn on when walking in to a certain room!?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-11 01:57:06 - last edited 2020-02-11 01:58:21
Model: HS105  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello, I have a few Kasa TP Link HS105 plugs and have been using them to control lamps throughout my house. I have been utilizing Alexa with the plugs for voice automation and commands, but wanted to see if there is a way to sync the plugs with a brand of motion sensors or door sensors so that the plugs activate when motion is sensed or a door is opened!? Thank you! 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Anyway to automate Kasa smart plugs so they turn on when walking in to a certain room!?
2020-02-12 20:17:46 - last edited 2020-02-12 20:18:54

@drummer1985 

Go into Alexa, then head to devices, hit the top left menu, and select Routines. You can create a routine that will perform an action based on your location.

For a room though, that may call for motion sensors to accomplish that.

Options
Re:Anyway to automate Kasa smart plugs so they turn on when walking in to a certain room!?
2020-02-13 04:09:42

@Tony thanks for the response, this is a good feature in Routines, however, in order for it to know when you arrive at your destination and activate the plugs, you have to leave location ON all the time for the Alexa app, which I'm not a huge fan of. Does TP Link/Kasa make any door sensors or motion detectors that work well with the plugs, or would I have to get one from another manufacturer? I know Wyze has plugs and sensors but TP Links quality seems to be better IMO. Thanks again 

Options
2020-02-14 18:48:09

@drummer1985 

The only motion sensor we had was the MS100 which was only usuable with the SR20 router which has since been discontinued. No word if we will release a sensor for the Kasa app.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1490

Replies: 3