Wireshark - TP-Link Outlet activity on network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-05 19:18:18
Model: HS103  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.2

Hello, 

Anyone knows why TP-Link HS103 Smart Plug is harrasing my Computer, even though my computer refuse to respond, I don't see any reason outlet would need to communicate with other devices on the network are there?

.197 is the outlet, 116 is my desktop PC.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Wireshark - TP-Link Outlet activity on network
2020-05-06 18:25:06

@Mr.H 

The plug is not harassing anything, it is telling your computer that it closed the session initiated by the computer.

The plug is combining two packets similar to SYN/ACK data packets.

Here is another explanation:

Once the connection is established, all packets need to have ACK set and match the sequence number of the received packets for reliable transport/security. RST without ACK will not be accepted. When one side sends RST, the socket is closed immediately and the receiving side also closes the socket immediately after receiving valid RST. It does not need to be and can't be acknowledged.

After TCP handshake

A --->B Syn=x, Ack=y, len=z, ACK Flag

B --->A Syn=y, Ack=x+z, len=o, ACK Flag

A --->B Syn=x+z, Ack=y+o, len=p, ACK Flag

B --->A Syn=y+o, ACK=x+z+p,len=q, RST, ACK Flag

B closes the socket after it sends the last packet and A closes the socket after it receives it.

(not considering TCP window here, or there might be more packets from one end before the acknowledgment)

ACK Flag, acknowledgment number, and the procedure of acknowledgment are related but not the same thing.

Options
2020-05-06 18:29:13

@Tony 

Cheers, Thanks Mate!

It was weird seeing the communication, it could have been my fault as well, thank you for the quick response!!

Options
2020-05-07 16:29:46

@Mr.H 

Very welcome. If you notice anything else that seems odd pleased post so we can look into for you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1134

Replies: 3

Related Articles