How to share one device to another family member

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-29 04:57:20
Model: HS105  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.18

Does it the Kasa App allows to share one of my devices to another family member, rather giving them my App password and have access to all the devices?

Options
4 Reply
Re:How to share one device to another family member
2020-06-29 10:58:49

@Manas20 

It's all or none.

Options
2020-06-30 20:58:47

@Manas20 

No, there is not a share function.

Options
2021-02-25 15:31:46

@B.Will Close, it's everything or nothing.

You have to bind the Kasa app on their smartphone to your account and they have full control over all of your devices once you do. Not a big problem for giving my wife access, but I would never share with my kids or others this way. This is extremely disappointing since I consider secure sharing a BASIC FEATURE. Every other app I've used for home control has the option to invite another account and control access. Even those for cheap, generic Chinese devices you find on Amazon. 

Options
2021-02-25 15:43:35

@Manas20 No, there is no user management feature for Kasa. You have to bind the app on their device to your account, so you they have full control of everything. They change settings, etc. User management, is available in every other smart home device app I've used, including those for cheap generic devices you find on Amazon, so I was shocked it doesn't exist for Kasa. This feature was available for the Tapo product line ( https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2613/ ), which I discovered while looking how to share my Kasa dimmers with my wife, but not Kasa. A galling omission. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 2196

Replies: 4