HS105 reconnect issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

HS105 reconnect issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
HS105 reconnect issues
HS105 reconnect issues
2020-07-14 14:34:52 - last edited 2020-09-10 12:55:07
Model: HS105  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.6

HS105 Mini Plug

Hardware Version:  1.0

Firmware Version:  1.5.6

First off, I love the HS105 mini plugs, in normal conditions they stay connected and work flawlessly.  If they lose connection, the reconnect right away.  However, after they intially try to reconnect it seems they never try to reconnect again.  I'm not sure if our HS105's have the most current firmware, but I have used the app to check for firmware updates.  The app always say they are up to date. 

So these are the scenario's I am referring to:

If the electric goes out once the electric comes back on they try to reconnect faster than my router boots up.  They stop trying to reconnect and never try again.  Result:  The plugs never reconnect.  Solid Amber light. 

If the eclectric blinks a few seconds (like during a storm or something) they try to reconnect faster than my router reboots.  Result:  The plugs never reconnect.  Solid Amber Light

If I need to reboot my router (cause as we all know routers need rebooted from time to time) they try to reconnect faster than my router reboots.  Result:  The plugs never reconnect.  Solid Amber light

So if any of the above happens when we are not home or away, the plugs are rendered useless.  I have left them 48 hours to see if they would reconnect.  They never reconnected on their own.      

This is all resolved after unplugging and replugging all 6 plugs...all over the house.  Once plugged back in they check and reconnect.  What a pain!  

If the plugs are getting power, and detect that they are not connected to a network shouldnt they recheck for connection at least every 15 minutes or so?

These are useless for someone on vacation, or have a second home they monitor remotely.  

Is there any fix for this or a fix in the works?    

Options
8 Reply
Re:HS105 reconnect issues
2020-07-19 03:16:45
Hitting the same issue with my plugs. One way I am working around this problem is to adjust the WiFi settings in a trivial way that does not require a full router reboot. In example I will hide then unhide the SSID. This will often resolve the solid amber problem. But this is only a workaround and is not the long term solution I seek. Hoping someone else can point out how to better debug these devices and allow us to get past this issue.
Options
2020-07-20 21:08:29

@stieg  Yeah well last Friday, it had been two full days with no response (while other posts that were posted after my post were getting responses). I decided that since my post got no response this must be a known issue with the HS105 plugs.   So I did a search of the forum and found other posts with this same issue....Some of them dating back to 2017.  

So, dont hold your breath that this is getting fixed anytime soon.   It is a major flaw in a product that is suppose to help in home automation.

TP-Link seems to make very nice, quality products that fail at actual implementation.

I also have the KC200 outdoor cam that is cloud based but advertises that you can also see it "live".....that they kill every 10 minutes with time outs.   So, if you want to also use the cam for surveillance purposes its near impossible.   This is on the Kasa app on a phone, screen cast from a phone, or voice cast to a chromecast.   This also makes their one and only way they support google assistant pretty useless.  

Options
2020-07-31 15:21:20

Tony?   Carl?

Has this been looked into and/or tested yet?

Options
2020-08-04 14:06:32

Okay, well I have a quantity of 6 HS105 plugs.   I have discontinued using 3 of them.  Still using 3.  Running around the house unplugging and plugging back in each plug each time the electric blinks, or we do a router reboot is a pain.    

I have noticed:  I have 2 plugs on lamps which are "off" most of the time.  For added security I put one on our garage door.  The garage door plug is set to come on at sunrise and off at sunset.  And when we happen to need to use the garage door after sunrise, we can remotely turn our garage door back on with our phone.  So, the garage door is set to "on" all day.  If the power blinks this plug comes back online set to "on" and reconnects no matter how long it takes our router to reboot.  If I do a router reset it also reconnects since it is "on" no matter how long it takes our router reboot.  

So, the above problem is only if the plugs current state is "off" and power or reset interrupts the wifi.   

Options
2020-09-09 16:14:50 - last edited 2020-09-10 12:55:07

For those of you that own the HS105 Version 1 (Version 1 only) and have the same problems that this thread is discussing you should just replace them.

I contacted TP-Link support on the issue discussed in the thread.  The support was great.  Very slow...but great.  I forgive it being slow due to COVID....but sometimes took a week to get a response, usually 2-4 days.  However, once they replied they did absolutely ZERO troubleshooting and took my case straight to RMA.  To me, this means that this issue is a known flaw and can not be fixed.  

Unfortunately, I did not go through with the RMA.  They were going to replace the plugs with HS105 V3 completey free.  However, TP-Link has terrible RMA policies and even though they sold me flawed products they DO NOT pay for shipping.  They also charge for advanced shipping of replacement products before returning current flawed products.

Beautiful way to stand for your own products and customers....

In the end, it was cheaper and less hassle to just buy my own replacements by a competiter brand.   Which I will now also be doing as well with my KC200 cam,  Archer router, and range extender. 

Hope this helps someone.         

Options
2020-09-10 12:53:48

Other threads with the same/similar issue:

https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/151719

https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/102395

Dating back to 2017..... 

Options
2020-09-12 16:42:33

@Miro031 Add me to the list of people who can't reconnect my HS105 V2 to Alexa. It was working fine until I had to restart my router, then the device simply stopped working in Alexa. I could successfully control it from the Kasa app, and it was recognized by the Alexa app, but when I went to turn it on or off, I would get a "Device Unresponsive" error in Alexa. No amout of resets and deleting and readding it solved the problem.

I substituted another smart switch (an Ekticity smart plug) and had no problem connecting it. This HS105 is only 30 months old and I don't see why a simple reboot of the router should render it unusable. I'd use the Ekticity plug as a replacement, but I want the ability to offset the sunrise and sunset settings via the firmware. I shouldnt hae to use IFTTT to substitute for functionality that is already built-in to the switch.

Options
2021-07-23 10:35:05
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1820

Replies: 8

Related Articles