Kasa Cam 10 minute time out.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-21 18:02:51 - last edited 2021-11-03 09:27:55
Model: KC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.3.0

Hello, 

I have the KC200 cam and when I bought it I enquired here on this forum about the 10 minute time out.  I was told that the topic would be submitted for evaluaton.

Previous enquiry

My Kasa Care plan is about to expire.  Before I sign up for another year for a product that is half usuable I would like an update on if this 10 minute time out is in the works to be either made longer or taken out completely.  I have no problem that there is a built in time out.  However, every 10 minutes is ridiculous.  It should be no less than 4 hours.  Possibly 6-8 hours.  I've never heard of a time out that is as often as 10 minutes on any of my internet of things devices.  I think my Roku is 4 hours.  The cloud infrastructure isnt that weak that it actually needs 10 minute time outs....is it?     

Anyway, I have to re-up for Kasa Care next month.  Or start shopping for another Cam.  I'd much rather re-up for Kasa Care.   Can I get an update please?

Options
8 Reply
Re:Kasa Cam 10 minute time out.
2020-07-22 17:14:36

@Miro031 

I believe you might have misunderstood my previous post regarding the 10-minute limit. That is still the case with the camera.

The way it currently works is that if you view the camera remotely on Kasa or on a device such as Firestick (even on the same Wi-Fi network), there will be a 10-minute view length.

However, if you view the camera while on the same Wi-Fi network though Kasa, there will be no timeout.

Options
2020-07-31 15:03:47

@Tony 

No, I understood what you meant.  

I actually love the KC200.  I thinks its very high quality, I love the round design and the magnet mount.  It is brilliant.  

The problem is TP Link's vision for these camera's is as a clip based cloud camera ONLY.  A very narrow vision.  Which is fine, but there are a part of the customer base that want to use it for that very reason AS WELL as surveillance purposes.  Whether it be as a baby monitor, I've heard some folks like to watch wildlife in their yards, and for me I put the camera on my business front entrance.  I can also see the parking lot.  If I am in my office doing paperwork, scheduling, etc I can watch and if we get busy I can go out and help my employees, etc.   

This is all possible on my phone.  As you said there is no timeout if using my phone.  The problem is....I NEED MY PHONE TO BE A PHONE!!  

No matter how, whether I voice cast it to chromecast with google assistant, or with alexa, it times out every 10 minutes.  Eliminating it as being used for surveillance puposes.  The only way to put it on a bigger screen is to screen cast it.  But it uses the screen of the phone....and again I need my phone to be a phone!  

I bought the camera cause it was advertised that it can be viewed live.  Which isnt untrue.  Its just implemented wrong.  I agree with the time outs, they are needed cause some would turn it on and just leave it, but 10 minute increments is very very excessive.   Other internet of thing devices are like every 2-4 hours.  For instance, Roku sets there "shutoff" at 4 hours. 

Also, even though TP-Link advertises Google assistant and Alexa compatibility and then shutting it off after 10 minutes with a time out to keep the cloud free from overload .  But then saying "Oh there is no limit on your phone.  Gobble up all the data and bandwith you want".   

Isn't that contradictory?  Isn't TP-Link just telling its customers that they really dont want you putting their camera's on a bigger screen.  They really want it on a phone and ONLY on a phone?  And anyone in their customer base that wants more then just a clip based cloud camera...to use it for surveillance purposes as well....to move on to a competitor?  

A phone is fine to watch clips.  Its too small of a screen for most surveillance purposes.  And phones need to do other things.  Like make calls.  If the time out isnt being made longer or eliminated I wont be renewing my Kasa Care. 

Options
2020-08-04 14:17:46

Through much trial and error (which shouldnt happen), I was able to find a way to get the camera to do what I want it to do.  

I will still be discontinuing the camera once my Kasa Care has expired if the 10 minute timer is not changed by then.

(I am now actually much more concerned with the HS105 plugs we have and not getting any response about in the plug forum).  

Options
2021-06-08 15:04:06

@Tony 

you said .... However, if you view the camera while on the same Wi-Fi network though Kasa, there will be no timeout.

I have new KC105 on the same wifi network as my iPad / Android phone and it still times out after 10 minutes and I get the "continue watching" message 

what is wrong? I really want continous streaming as I use this for a front of house monitor while in my home office

any help greatly appreciated

Options
2021-06-11 07:38:02

I am seeking for the help on the same problem but didn't get any response , any help ? spell to breakup a couple

Options
2021-06-20 21:12:02
Options
2021-10-30 05:23:48 - last edited 2021-10-30 06:27:09

@Tony

Miro031 wrote

@Tony 

No, I understood what you meant.  

I actually love the KC200.  I thinks its very high quality, I love the round design and the magnet mount.  It is brilliant.  

The problem is TP Link's vision for these camera's is as a clip based cloud camera ONLY.  A very narrow vision.  Which is fine, but there are a part of the customer base that want to use it for that very reason AS WELL as surveillance purposes.  Whether it be as a baby monitor, I've heard some folks like to watch wildlife in their yards, and for me I put the camera on my business front entrance.  I can also see the parking lot.  If I am in my office doing paperwork, scheduling, etc I can watch and if we get busy I can go out and help my employees, etc.   

This is all possible on my phone.  As you said there is no timeout if using my phone.  The problem is....I NEED MY PHONE TO BE A PHONE!!  

No matter how, whether I voice cast it to Chromecast with Google Assistant, or with Alexa, it times out every 10 minutes.  Eliminating it as being used for surveillance purposes.  The only way to put it on a bigger screen is to screen cast it.  But it uses the screen of the phone....and again I need my phone to be a phone!  

I bought the camera cause it was advertised that it can be viewed live.  Which isn't untrue.  Its just implemented wrong.  I agree with the time outs, they are needed cause some would turn it on and just leave it, but 10 minute increments is very very excessive.   Other internet of thing devices are like every 2-4 hours.  For instance, Roku sets there "shutoff" at 4 hours. 

Also, even though TP-Link advertises Google assistant and Alexa compatibility and then shutting it off after 10 minutes with a time out to keep the cloud free from overload .  But then saying "Oh there is no limit on your phone.  Gobble up all the data and bandwidth you want".   

Isn't that contradictory?  Isn't TP-Link just telling its customers that they really don't want you putting their camera's on a bigger screen.  They really want it on a phone and ONLY on a phone?  And anyone in their customer base that wants more then just a clip based cloud camera...to use it for surveillance purposes as well....to move on to a competitor?  

A phone is fine to watch clips.  Its too small of a screen for most surveillance purposes.  And phones need to do other things.  Like make calls.  If the time out isn't being made longer or eliminated I wont be renewing my Kasa Care. 

@Miro031

It's not contradictory;  it's ridiculous.  Any excuses about bandwidth are nonsense, IF the customer is only using his/her OWN BANDWIDTH on his/her OWN NETWORK !!!

There is no reason for timeouts for totally local usage, period. It can't be a hardware overheating issue, if Kasa allows an unlimited connection to the phone.

As far as I can tell, it's a marketing decision, to force people to get a subscription.

I have 32 Kasa devices installed in my house, & like them.  I also have some TP-Link routers, & like them as well.

I have on order, from a different company, a better camera.  However, it has been out of stock, so I thought I would try the KC410S, & if I liked it, cancel the order for the other camera.

I really like the KC410S, especially the low-light performance.  However, I don't like being treated like a rube, & so the KC410S will go back to Amazon.  Especially when there is no notice in the advertisements for the camera of this important limitation.

Options
2021-11-01 23:59:55 - last edited 2021-11-03 09:27:55

@DeanGibson I agree.  That all is very wyze of you. smiley

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 3883

Replies: 6

Related Articles