Google Home turns on and off wrong device

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Google Home turns on and off wrong device

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
21 Reply
Re:Google Home turns on and off wrong device
2020-08-12 15:28:15

@Naagod Google Assistant has a log of what you said, but unfortunately that doesn't include what Google did.

Have your tried, instead of speaking commands, just tapping on the device in Google Home, to see if it's related to speech recognition?

Options
2020-08-12 15:58:42

@DeanGibson my testing is mostly using the google app. From all my testing, voice commands execute what's in the app, when it doesnt work in the app, it doesnt work by voice command either.

The last 24 hours it's been working perfectly. Didnt change anything but I noticed a slight improvement since I deleted my first google account and created a new one just for Google Nest. Gonna continue testing this and will put here any updates.

Options
2020-08-12 16:12:12 - last edited 2020-08-12 16:13:38

actually my bad. I've been trying two plugs (2 and 3), but now I noticed that plug 1 and 2 are now both turning on/off plug 2. Plug 3 is working fine now. Nonetheless this is nothing new, it happened before.

Options
2020-08-12 16:31:19

@Naagod You might try completely different (from what you are using now) names for the devices.  Note that "camera", "lamp", "light", "TV", "level", & a number of other words have special meanings (in my experience) to Google Assistant.  Sometimes it's a "dance" to pick words that won't be misunderstood.

Options
2020-08-12 16:39:18
I actually tried that before, (it didn't work, problem remained) but still it doesn't explain why it would turn on/off other device, and it would probably be a problem for all users. If that's the problem then, it's definitely not worth to use Google Home :) The names I'm using are Camera, Moisty (for my dehumidifier) and Heater. The problem also happened when I had only 2 plugs. Already switched the devices physically to see if it was 1 device that could have a problem, but it wasn't.
Options
2020-12-17 20:29:52

Hey all, just wanted to chime in with a "me too!" On this one.

As of about a week ago, my devices are now very confused. Four plugs in my living room, and they now turn each other on and off incorrectly, or sometimes don't respond at all.

Using kasa directly they're fine, and removing them from Google and readding they work for a few attempts before again getting confused. 

The behaviour is very random. I'll say "turn off living room lights" (3 of the devices are lights), and it might turn off 2 lights. Same with turning them on. Sometimes the 4th device which isn't a light also turns on when it shouldn't :(

Options
2020-12-17 23:31:01 - last edited 2020-12-18 07:16:35

Eambo wrote

Hey all, just wanted to chime in with a "me too!" On this one.

As of about a week ago, my devices are now very confused. Four plugs in my living room, and they now turn each other on and off incorrectly, or sometimes don't respond at all.

Using kasa directly they're fine, and removing them from Google and readding they work for a few attempts before again getting confused. 

The behaviour is very random. I'll say "turn off living room lights" (3 of the devices are lights), and it might turn off 2 lights. Same with turning them on. Sometimes the 4th device which isn't a light also turns on when it shouldn't :(

@Eambo 

This could be Google's fault.  For almost a year, I've used Google Nest Minis to turn individual lights on & off, which has worked perfectly.  In particular, in my bedroom, saying "turn on lamp" would just turn on the light in the bedroom.  A couple weeks ago, I replaced the Nest Minis with Google Nest Hubs.  Now, when I say "turn on lamp" in the bedroom, it announces & turns on ten lights in the house.  So, I renamed the light to "torchiere" (which it is), & now I say "turn on torchiere" or "turn on bedroom", & those both work.

Note that Google looks at both the Kasa name of the device, as well as any different name you may have given it in Google Assistant. Also if you designate the device type in Assistant as a light, but give it a different name, Google will still turn it on/off when you refer to "lights", regardless of the name.

I've had to be inventive with names.

Options
2021-02-23 17:51:25

Hello all,

Someone else with the same issue. Once again, the issue isn't with the Kasa app, it's with google assistant.

I purchased 3 HS100's and an HS110.

The idea was...

one HS100 in the kitchen, nothing to do with the others, this one is called "Kettle".

one HS110 - "Main power", which then goes to an extension cable with my home office set-up on one HS100, "Office power", and my personal studio set-up on the other, "Studio power".

If I say turn of "Studio power"... works every time

If I say turn off "office power"... it decides to turn off "main power" and which then also turns off the router! So no google based smart home from this point onwards.

Best thing with this is ... if the "main power" is on, and I want to turn on my office desk- I can't because it thinks the office is already on, although in the app it obviously isnt!

And the icing on the cake today -  I was in the kitchen "hey google, turn off the kettle".... google assistant turns off the main power again, killing the router once more! 

Does anyone know why the google assistant can't control my Kasa devices - and those of other people in this forum?

Many thanks!

Options
2021-02-23 23:02:51

@InternetOffline Hi

I struggled with this for months, roughly 1 year until I gave up. There were times where it seemed to be fixed,but not, everything got back to the same problem. Mine was quite simple and also with 3 plugs (Camera, Heater, Moist, were the names) Google always confused Camera and some other one, never understood why. One time I was able to fix for a long time, but I couldnt keep track with the changes I made, so I cannot say for sure what I did. Anyway, after a Google Home update, it went back to failing again.

In you case, my only suggestion would be avoid using the word Power for your switches, specially in more than 1.

In my case I switched to Amazon Alexa and never had an issue whatsoever.

Options
2021-03-05 15:23:32

@Naagod 

Same problem, since a few weeks.
- Google home

- 4 HS100 plugs:
1. (bathroom) dehumidifier
2. (kitchen) lamp

3. (bedroom) blanket 1

4. (bedroom) blanket 2

It all started with 3 and 4 mixing up - so I assumed it was due to the names being too much alike (although worked perfectly for months before that).  But when 2 and even 1 started mixing up as well, I decided it had nothing to do with the name or associated room...

If anyone has found a fix to this issue, please share!

Btw, I'm experiencing bad and unstable wifi.  Just bought a state-of-the-art mesh router system.  Will let you know if it fixes anything (which I don't think it will - the cause must be linked to the Kasa/Google integration).

Mac

Options