HS103 Won't connect to WiFi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-11 19:44:50
Model: HS103  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.2

I purchased 10 of these plugs and was only able to connect 3. After the first three, the other seven fail to connect to WiFi. I've tried resetting the plugs and after I enter my WiFi password for the plug during the setup process, the light turns from orange to flashing blue but it never completes. Here is the interesting part; if I restart any of my 6 access points, the device I just tried pairing becomes visible on the network, the TP-Link app and works. However, it drops any existing one off the app and the network.

If I attempt to re-pair the one that got dropped from the network, it becomes visible again on the network if I restart my access points but drops another. Like musical chairs :D

It's a vicious cycle and looks like it does it when more than 3 devices are connected and configured at a time. Thinking it was my network, I disabled all AP's and used only one. However, same issue. I then created an isolated WiFi network and still have the same issue. This isolated network was with both completely different network hardware and a different network subnet.

To take it a step further, I went to my shop and tried it there. Same exact issue. I can't get anything more than 3 smart plugs at a time. As soon as I add a fourth one, a previous one becomes greyed out. My network at home, at the shop, or even my isolated network test-beds have more than enough capacity. I can add any other device including additional TP-Link devices. For example, I have 6 wall switches from TP-Link that I was able to add without issues and they all work. None of those drop. I also have other brands of switches and plugs that I am able to add without issues.

Any ideas? Looks like I am on the latest firmware for these devices too.

Options
1 Reply
Re:HS103 Won't connect to WiFi
2020-09-12 10:52:28

TL;DR - disable 5g radio on your Wi-Fi router/AP during setup

I think I discovered something. I have 6 AP's for my WiFi setup. My WiFi supports both 2.4 and 5g connectivity. I noticed that 2 out of 6 AP's had the 5g radio enabled. When pairing my new plugs, they were all going through the AP that had the 5g radio enabled. The already working plugs were running communication through the AP's that only had the 2.4 radio enabled. 

So, I turned off 5g on those two AP's (these were the closer ones to where I was setting the plug from) and they worked. Part of the issue is that I broadcast 5g and 2.4 using the same SSID, which I prefer since my network is suppose to determine what the connecting device supports and add them to that band automatically. However, looks like through the pairing process, it doesn't. One I got them paired, I renabled 5g since now the device is married to the 2.4 spectrum. 

When I tested this on my isolated network and at another location, it also had 5g radios enabled there, which would explain why it failed there pair. I didn't realize these plugs didn't support both bands. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1687

Replies: 1

Related Articles