KP400 Outdoor plug setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

KP400 Outdoor plug setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
KP400 Outdoor plug setup
KP400 Outdoor plug setup
2020-12-03 04:13:39
Model: KP400  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Outdoor plug. Cannot connect to the WI-fi network. I tried set 2.4 Ghz only, negative. Tried different WI-FI, Asus router, Ubiqiuti, negative.

Few time I sew my network in the list, type password and nothing. Always running circle of connection and than rescan and all repeat again without any success.

Tried to forget TP-LINK_Smart Plug_800C network, repeat the process, negative. Device always shows orange and green flashing lights.

I bought three plugs, one outdoor KP400, one lite and one wall switch. 

iPhone 11 Max, iOS 14.3. Tried iPhone XR iOS 14.2, tried different WI-FIsettings "Ask to Join Network" = "Ask", Auto-joiny Hotspot = Automatic.

Options
6 Reply
Re:KP400 Outdoor plug setup
2020-12-03 18:54:17

@TolkMTL 

Go into the Kasa app permission of the iOS devices, and enable location permission. Certain permissions being blocked will get in the way of installation. Also make sure the device does not have any VPN connections running.

Options
2020-12-04 16:32:46

@TolkMTL hello

I have a similar problem with a smart strip, just cannot get it connected. I checked the location permissions and it's on for the kasa app. Tried to turn it off back on but still the same. I've been playing with the router settings too, still nothing. I even got the smart strip replaced just in case it's a hardware  issue but it's the same as the previous one. I even chatted with tp-link support they advised to replace it but had no clue what may cause the problem...

Options
2020-12-04 17:53:17

@TolkMTL 

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 14.2. WI-FI is based on the ASUS RT-AC3100.

KP400(US) V2.0.

Kasa application

First device setup,  the application is able to scan and show the SSID of WI-FI. All steps are done according to the instructions.

When Kasa show me the WI-FI list to set up connection, I select my tested SSID and next connection process never finish, doesn't matter 5 or 30 minutes.

Reset the plug, repeat, same situation. I exit setup process and start again, and the application is not able to discover any WI-FI.

Manually adding hidden network, is not working.

I tried to change WI-FI environment. I went to the office WI-FI 2.4/5Ghz Ubiquity UAP-AC-Pro Access Point.

I am able to set up the device without any problem. So the iPhone settings, iOS14.2 doesn't created any issue for me to set up the device.

It means I have some problems in the home WI-FI settings based on the ASUS RT-AC-3100.

I tried creating new Guest WI-FI, 2.4 GHz only, unlimited time, password, security protocol, connection has tested.

Reset plug, repeat the process, same. The application select the WI-FI and connection nefer finish.

At home WI-FI recently I installed 2 Globe WI-FI lights and AUGUST dead locks. 

Yes, I had support from AUGUST to discover WI-FI bridge. Support technician provide me advice that helps me immediately.

To connect the Globe smart light I disabled 5 GHz and leave the 2.4 GHz on my WI-FI, it helps.

But nothing works with Kasa.

Sorry, I returning all my smart plugs I bought. I spent too much time trying solving the issue.

I cannot change the home WI-FI just to allow Kasa add the devices. I rather return the KP400 outdoor plug and cancel my orders for other TP-LINK smart plugs.

I am sorry, I lost my patience to solve the issue.

Options
2020-12-05 02:17:23

@TolkMTL 

I am believe the TP-LINK smart devices are good and reliable.

Modern mobile application going in the direction to "simplify" set up the process, that create real nightmare for customer and support people.

I am regretting a lot, but say bye bue to TP-Link based on the KASA mobile application.

Options
2020-12-06 15:34:07

@Tony 

To help others and avoid the frustrations I was having getting my KP400's setup and configured,  I've updated this thread with more details on how to get your outdoor plug KP400 setup and installed.

On IOS device. 

1.  Go to Settings

2.  In search field type Kasa (enter)

3.  Click on the KASA APP (see screen shots)

Tony wrote

@TolkMTL 

Go into the Kasa app permission of the iOS devices, and enable location permission. Certain permissions being blocked will get in the way of installation. Also make sure the device does not have any VPN connections running.

4.  Make sure Local Network is turned on.

Before Screen Shot **Local Network within the KASA App was turned off **  Toggle it to ON and your install wil work!

After Screen Shot  

Options
2020-12-06 20:36:36

@TolkMTL 

Local network switch is ON in the Settings/Kasa.

My time for Kasa is over. I bought Global switches and connect all switches within 25 minutes.

Same WI-FI, same iPhone and iOS 14.2. Global mobile application has Auto and Manual set up. All works.

I tried even reset device to see the repeat process works same as new discovering. I tried to create the problem(s) and I could not.

All plug I set up works.

I am sorry to be unpatient with Kasa.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1898

Replies: 6

Related Articles