HS100 suddenly stopped working with Alexa - "server unresponsive"

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-11 17:07:42 - last edited 2020-12-15 00:02:02
Model: HS100-KIT  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.6

My two HS100 smart plugs were working fine with Alexa routines, and then one day they both just stopped working with Alexa. I reset them and re-installed them in the Kasa app. Alexa recognized the plugs when they came online on my LAN. I un-installed the Alexa routines and created new ones. When I run them, Alexa says "server unresponsive". I can control the switches using the Kasa app.

I bought two HS103 mini switches and set them up. Alexa recognized them when they came online, but can't control them with routines. Same deal - "server unresponsive".

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:HS100 suddenly stopped working with Alexa - "server unresponsive"-Solution
2020-12-11 23:53:27 - last edited 2021-01-14 21:05:11

@Hud3 

Try the following mentioned by @Howster :

Login into alexa.amazon.com on your laptop, click on Skills on the left nav, scroll down to the TP-Link Kasa icon, click it and click on the DISABLE SKILL button at the top. Once the skill is disabled go back and re-enable it by clicking on Enable on the top right. Enter the TP-Link Cloud log in credentials during the enablement process. Add your plug if required and try ON/OFF functionality again within the Alexa app. If you're in an "Amazon Household" account say to Alexa "switch to John's account" or whomever's account the plug is registered to. Last week I must have changed the password with some other TP-Link service (Tp-Link forum login, repeater setup, or whatever) but plugs or app dashboards never threw visuals error and were linked to the tp cloud with an invalid older password.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:HS100 suddenly stopped working with Alexa - "server unresponsive"-Solution
2020-12-11 23:53:27 - last edited 2021-01-14 21:05:11

@Hud3 

Try the following mentioned by @Howster :

Login into alexa.amazon.com on your laptop, click on Skills on the left nav, scroll down to the TP-Link Kasa icon, click it and click on the DISABLE SKILL button at the top. Once the skill is disabled go back and re-enable it by clicking on Enable on the top right. Enter the TP-Link Cloud log in credentials during the enablement process. Add your plug if required and try ON/OFF functionality again within the Alexa app. If you're in an "Amazon Household" account say to Alexa "switch to John's account" or whomever's account the plug is registered to. Last week I must have changed the password with some other TP-Link service (Tp-Link forum login, repeater setup, or whatever) but plugs or app dashboards never threw visuals error and were linked to the tp cloud with an invalid older password.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:HS100 suddenly stopped working with Alexa - "server unresponsive"
2020-12-12 03:55:17

@Tony thank you! This worked!!!

Options
2020-12-13 19:43:30

@Tony  Thanks, Tony. It  worked for me, too. 

Options
2021-01-13 18:07:44

@Tony 

Tony, thanks so much for your fix .  I did the same thing as I added a TP-Link range extender and somehow knocked out the communcation with all KASA Mini smart plugs and swtiches with Alexa.  Your suggestion fixed it.  

Thanks again!

Options
2021-03-10 16:25:55

@Hud3 

Had a similar problem after installing a TPL Extender. When I reset the mini-plug it picked up the network name associated with the Extender, which is the same as my existing network, but has a suffix "ext".  I then went back and removed/reset the mini and made sure I selected the same ntwork that Alexa uses. The mini now works on command.   Hope thi helps others. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 2665

Replies: 5