Reboot Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Reboot Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Reboot Router
Reboot Router
2021-01-06 22:01:22

I've been using Kasa SmartPlugs for a couple of years now, and think they are the BEST (I have tried 4 other brands)...

I have a need to periodically reboot a Router remotely; ideally, only once a month, but would be OK with weekly if the following schedule would work:

OFF at 4:01 AM on Wednesdays

ON at 4:05 AM on Wednesdays

ALTERNATIVELY,

Set up the SmartPlug with NO schedule, so it is ALWAYS ON, and

Manually toggle it off then on remotely via the App

I would be interested in any comments on how this might work or FAIL.  A failure to restart would cause the other devices (PCs, Monitors, etc) to be down.  I intend to test this locally, but first wanted to get some feedback on this potential solution, or other ideas.

FYI, I have not yet tested triggering a SmartPlug state remotely, when I am NOT on the same network, and must first determine if that works.

My thanks in advance...

Options
8 Reply
Re:Reboot Router
2021-01-06 22:10:55

@HDL-NYC The on/off schedule works fine. I have mine set for 1am on monday.

Options
2021-01-06 22:19:38 - last edited 2021-01-06 22:19:59

@B.Will   Thank YOU!!!

Have you ever had a need to trigger the SmartPlug when your were away?   If so, how did that work?

Also, under what conditions, if any, have you ever been unable to trigger the SmartPlug?

Options
2021-01-06 22:35:12

@HDL-NYC I have remotely controled smart plug and bulb with out any problem.

You should not remotely turn off your router, because you will not be able to turn it back on remotely with the router down.

Options
2021-01-06 22:52:06

@B.Will THANK YOU !!!

I understand -- If I manually use the App to turn the Router Off, I would lose teh connection to turn it back on; thank you for pointing that out!...

IF I use the App to program an OFF cycle, followed by an ON trigger, would the ON trigger work with the router OFF (without power)?  My iPhone with the App would NOT be at the location where teh Router is.

Options
2021-01-06 22:54:37

@HDL-NYC Yes it will turn back on. The schedule is stored in the plug it self

Options
2021-01-07 15:08:28

@HDL-NYC Some great answers above, but some are contradictory...

The Techs at Kasa sent me the following:

If the HS105 connects to the Router WI-FI, when the router is off, you can not control the HS105, and we do not have the device can meet your requirements.

But if the HS105 can connect to other WI-FI that will not disappear all the time, you can control the HS105 remotely and the HS105 can control the router. 
You just power on the HS105 in another location and add it into your Kasa APP and let it connect the WI-FI, then when you back to home, you can control the HS105 remotely.
How to configure the HS105: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/946/

All in all, the Wi-Fi connected to HS105 can't disappear.

This seems to say that once the Kasa SmartPlug goes Off, shutting the Wi-Fi down, the Kasa SmartPlug will NOT go back on...

Does anyone have proof that the Kasa SmartPlug WILL go back ON?
Options
2021-01-07 15:18:32 - last edited 2021-01-07 15:19:29

@HDL-NYC You can not control the plug using your phone while the router is off.

You can have a schedule that turns off the router then turns it back on because the schedule is stored in the plug.

My router is on a HS105 plug that turns off every monday at 1am and back on at 1:05

Options
2021-01-07 16:04:54 - last edited 2021-01-07 16:06:04

@B.Will FYI, I just did a manual test:

• I set up a new Kasa SmartPlug, and connected it to my network.
  • The Kasa updated its Firmware.
  • I then plugged my Router into the Kasa, and waited for the Router to power back up..
  • I used the Kasa App to turn off the SmartPlug, and I confirmed the Router was OFF.
  • I confirmed that Wi-Fi was OFF.
  • I waited 2 minutes, then used the Kasa App to turm the SmartPlug back on.
  • I confirmed the Router powered-up.
  • After a few moments/minutes, I confirmed Wi-Fi was back on and functioning properly.

My next test will be tonight to confirm a scheduled OFF -- ON works as desired.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 992

Replies: 8

Related Articles