All Devices drops out all the time -total KASA meltdown.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-23 00:56:46 - last edited 2021-03-03 23:55:07

Once or twice a year everything stops working or non-responsive.

I have around 50+ devices from Cam, plugs, switches, bulbs, light strips etc.  All grayed out. Sometimes things get online and when you activate on the app the button starts spin around.

I can setup a cam and all good, for then 10 min later it is "Off line" and green light blinking, same goes with any KASA device just drop out.

No change on the network, not even been off line, no power drop out no nothing. My grid and topology is very stable and with a high end router from ASUS and I have a logger on so I can see if the network gets unstable and no sign of anything.

I've got more than 200Mbps measured with each device so pretty strong wifi signal and the setting accepts N and Legacy as well as 20/40MHz, channel control and extensions are on auto so no fixed preset.  

I've got non KASA items on the network and they works like a charm only the KASA devices are a complete melt down.

For a week I had the issue now, and even I reset everything twice , things are dropping out again. I also did reset the whole 2.4G network in fact started up from scratch.

I am really frustrated as I've spend quite a bit of money and things are just not working stable and consistent.

As said it happens twice a year and I am almost giving up on KASA as it is not reliable and why I'm letting go off KASA and slowly replacing with an other brand.

I realized I bought too cheap and thought TP Link was good quality, I stand corrected. What I have there is working is not a $25 dimmer but a $50+ and absolute no issues and you can actually have a face plate for two or more switches. But it takes awhile when it is 50+ devices to replace.

Options
2 Reply
Re:All Devices drops out all the time -total KASA meltdown.
2021-02-24 00:02:56 - last edited 2021-03-03 23:55:07

@BlueOrange 

Having that many devices sitting on a 2.4G connection is not the best thing to have. If your router has a guest network option, enable that, and place the TP-Link devices on that. You don't need local access, everything will automatically rever to remote access.

Options
Re:All Devices drops out all the time -total KASA meltdown.
2021-02-24 03:46:01 - last edited 2021-03-03 23:55:07

@Tony 

I actually have a few subnet's on 2.4G as you say it is a lot of devices. But also from a structural point of view you should have things structured up in areas and device types. But I agree 50+ IOT on one network is for sure not really ideal. I guess we all start with one or two devices and man that is cool and suddenly we have a whole bunch of everything... You might want to think it over, as not everything is working well together if your cannot control your network

A thing to notice, then some time ago my IPS (COX) gave me a home security package in connection with changing my package. They use some sort of very entry level devices connected to a HUB they hand out and that HUB knocked out everything!! It was a quick fix, before the COX Technician and and after the COX Technician visit. -Unpluged and back in the box and everything was alive again. -I am the "don't touch my LAN" kind of the guy, especially IPS technicians as they can make more damage in two minutes than you can manage fix in two days :-)  

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 761

Replies: 2