SmartPlug DNS issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

SmartPlug DNS issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
SmartPlug DNS issue
SmartPlug DNS issue
2021-04-13 20:05:21
Model: KP400  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version: 1.0.6

Ok - I can see that I'm not the first with this problem  I have a brand-new outdoor smart plug that I bought from Kasa/TP-Link through Amazon.  I have several other Kasa/TPLink devices so my confidence was high that this would easily install on my network and iPhone app.   Install goes smoothly until I get to the "Remote Control" option.  DNS Fail.  What the hell is that?   I looked up your website for assistance and find numerous similar complaints about other Kasa devices with this issue.  I have to change my router to some Google-approved DNS?   First of all, I have no idea how to change any setting on my router and frankly, I don't think I should have to!!!  Secondly, I don't have a lot of confidence in Google's corporate ethics and don't wish to set up myself up to the possibility of Big Tech snooping around my home network.  If I change the DNS to 8.8.8.8 whatever that means, what I am opening myself up to?   So I'm disinclined to make this change (even if I could). 

This problem was apparently been happening for some time, based on the threads here in your forum.  I find it hard to believe that a company whose older products installed fine is now having a problem with newer ones that you can't seem to resolve without this kind of complicated fix to the customer's other devices..  

Like another reader, I'll be sending back this outdoor smart plug for another brand.  If I didn't already have other Kasa devices installed and working fine, I'd be inclined to ship the whole lot back.  

This can't be fixed?   This is really too bad.  I was an early customer of Kasa and had high confidence in the products.  This is really disappointing.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 465

Replies: 0

Related Articles