Kasa smart plug got soaked in water and stopped working.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-12 06:46:49
Model: KP400  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

My Kasa outdoor Smart plug got wet because of heavy rain and it has stopped working. It was brand new and I purchased it 20 days back.Is it covered under a warranty? How can I fix it at home?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Kasa smart plug got soaked in water and stopped working.
2021-05-19 13:48:21

@kasa-kp400 

It may have malfunctioned due to some other causes. In any case, I would recommend reaching out to our support team and informing them the plug just stopped working or is dead. They should be able to tell you the next steps to take. I believe your device comes with a two-year warranty from the date of purchase:

Here is the support team info: link

Options
2021-05-25 08:09:11 - last edited 2021-06-01 05:43:34

Press and hold the reset button for 5 seconds or until the Wi-Fi LED blinks amber and green to initiate the app-config process. To reset the smart switch/plug to factory defaults: Press and hold the reset button until the Wi-Fi LED blinks amber rapidly (about 10 seconds) to reset the Smart switch to factory defaults.

Curse removal

Options
2022-01-03 23:38:23

@kasa-kp400 

I experienced the same thing.  I tried using the uncooked rice method for drying it out.  Both resets, no luck.  Talked to Warrantee support.  They basically said because of the water damage I was on the hook for it.  I'm betting there is fuse inside that's blown or more water I cannot get out.  

Options
2022-01-04 00:23:02 - last edited 2022-01-04 00:23:18

@Sparky115 

With nothing left to lose, I opened the plug up.  That was no easy task.  That plug is built to withstand a lot.  Once opened I could easily see the problem.  Water had penetrated past the plug.  I'm sure it got in because the cover had fallen off during the storm.  It had fried the electronics and I mean fried, black and crispy fried.  I am grateful that the plug did what it is supposed to do, shutdown, which is what it did.  No fire, no other damage.  

We had a series of record setting storms at the time it failed.  While i'm not happy about the plug failure, I am happy that it is nothing major.  I will be getting another one.  The price is good.  The equipment is solid.  I would still recommend.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 2643

Replies: 4