TP-Link devices and Matter compatibility

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TP-Link devices and Matter compatibility

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
16 Reply
Re:TP-Link devices and Matter compatibility
2022-05-12 14:10:06 - last edited 2022-05-12 14:11:27

@TEHK Ya hopefully TP-Link, Amazon Alexa and Apple will support Matter on all existing TP-Link devices. This way everyone can easily access a TP smart device no matter which OS you happen to be using. I have both OS and platforms in use around my home. :)

Options
2022-10-05 22:54:05
You're right - it's clear that the responder doesn't understand what it entails - and that doesn't surprise me at all. Kasa has already demonstrated having open firmware open and then closing it shut tight. They will not 'willingly' integrate with the MATTER standard ; but you're also correct that if they do NOT, they will essentially shut down their entire product line. The entire reason for Matter is to prevent the type of one-off ecosystems that have developed in the home automation world and make it a standard just as ubiquitous as WiFi. Just as standard as USB. I have no less than 40 separate Kasa devices in my home. So believe me when I say that if they do not integrate with Matter, they will not see another dime of investment. That's like saying they're going to develop their own WIFI standard and everyone must use special WIFI adapters if they want to connect - the public will simply laugh them off the stage. Money talks. They will likely end up behind the curve with this, and if they take too long to integrate, then other vendors will surpass them and leave them behind. Kasa is just like all the other vendors that don't like 'interchangability' - because it takes from their bottom line. But the real question for Kasa is, do you want to even have a bottom line at all? Or will you let the floor fall out from underneath you? Because that's how significant this is. For them to reply otherwise is simply foolishness on their part.
Options
2022-10-05 23:20:19

@Solla-topee 

If you are unaware of the significance of this, maybe this link will help you out. Since I can't link it directly, here is a short URL of CNET's article about it: shorturl.at/kpuW5

I certainly hope Kasa/TP-Link doesn't take the 'wait and see' approach and announce their support for MATTER before it becomes too late. I say this as a heavy consumer of Kasa products (> 40 light switches, not including power devices).  If you do not announce support for MATTER in the interim, I expect that those in the know will stop all Kasa purchases, for fear of non-compatability with their current projects.

Because MATTER is backwards-compatible, it will certainly impact products already in release as well as those in development.  I will not be adding any more Kasa devices to any of my homes and projects until there is affirmation from Kasa/TPLink on this. 

I hope you realize that such sentiments and statements those on this thread are not 'threats' to not purchase products ; they are merely declarations of intent, due to lack of support from TP-LINK on the MATTER standard.  It's a standard as crucial as WIFI or USB ; people will simply bypass any and all products that don't follow the standard for fear or integration issues. The current defense that "we expect our own app will manage these devices in the future" will not stand up to scrutiny, as that's the very sentiments that MATTER is designed to do away with.

From a consumer point of view, we feel your pain.  We know this will hurt.  We are telling you this as loyal Kasa customers (for most of us).  Our participation in this forum is evidence of that.  So please don't take our statements of "boycott" as anything other than encouragement for TPLINK to get on board sooner rather than later, for all our sake.

Options
2022-10-05 23:49:28

@AgentDuke 

https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/stories/detail/501830

Confirmed TP-Link is participating in Matter.

Options
2022-10-10 11:40:41

Just to complete this thread a bit, TP-Link announced Matter support on Sept 15, 2022

https://www.tp-link.com/dk/press/news/20198/

Options
2022-10-21 13:57:33

I don't think anyone is concerned if tp-link is going to release new matter compatible products, they clealry will.  

I think most folks are like me and own 50+ existing installed Kasa devices and want to know what is going to happen to them?  

Everything from outdoor plugs to indoor 3 way switches, to indoor plugs, to power strips, to all of it...  to every existing product in the line up.

I'd accept a few of these needing to be replaced for esoteric hardware reasons but not all of them.  At the point all of them need to be replaced I'm switch system to manufacturer with a reputation of longevity.  

so, will there be a Kasa hub? When? What devices will it support? What devices will it not support?

Options