HS103 Won't Connect as Guest

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-12 19:03:07
Model: HS103  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.3

Beyond irritated at this point and looking for suggestions of something to try.

I have several Kasa plugs of various models. All work great as cloud connected devices. I have 1 HS103 that's currently an extra to me, so decided to make it work local to integrate into Home Assistant, where I'm slowly going to move my 50+ Zigbee and Z-Wave devices. Problem is that as soon as I factory reset it, I can never get it to connect to my WiFi again as a Guest. I CAN get it to connect to my very worthless guest mode WiFi, though. If I log back into my Kasa account, I can easily reconnect to the same 2.4GHz network that's rejected time and time again when logging into the Kasa app as a Guest.

So, why will this plug connect when I'm on my account and not when as a Guest? 

Options
4 Reply
Re:HS103 Won't Connect as Guest
2021-06-17 16:05:22

@Nameless_1 

I'm wondering if the router may be becoming overloaded with connected devices. If you have another router or access point you can try to connect that to the LAN of the main router and offload devices to that wireless network. 

However, if it is just this particular plug and you are not seeing other devices randomly lose wireless connection I would reach out to support as the plug may be bad: link

Options
2021-06-18 00:22:08

@Tony 

I have a few other Kasa plugs I can try as well. I did confirm my router can handle additional devices on that network and it does allow connection from this plug, but only when I'm logged into the Kasa app and not as Guest.

Also should mention I tried this from 2 separate Android devices on Android 9 and 11, so doesn't appear to be an app issue.

I'll try another plug to see if it's isolated to this 1.

Options
2021-07-25 23:59:02
Finally getting a chance to further test this out. I bought a new KL50 light bulb to use and decided I wanted it to run local as well. The app would never show a connection to this new light bulb just like the plug. I logged into my router and can see the KL50 has connected and remains connected to my router. This is very strange. This is a brand new bulb and it is behaving just like the plug. Either this is an issue with the Kasa app, or it is an issue with my Asus router. I have no other issues with any device connecting to that router except Kasa devices. I plan to attempt to use an older phone running Android 6 or 7, to see if it is an issue with this app on Android 9. I can also confirm it's not working on a tablet running Android 11. I do have a very old access point that runs its own SSID and I may try it just with a couple Kasa devices to see if somehow the Asus router is the problem.
Options
2021-07-26 00:20:05
Well, quick update. I'll be returning this bulb as defective. It will not reset no matter what I do. I've tried the soft reset of turning it on and off five times. I've tried a hard reset turning it on and off 10 times. I've tried every solution I can find online. I've used different lamps, different switches, and connected it directly to a power strip with no ability to reset this bulb. So, officially, this is the last Kasa device I will purchase. I may still try to reset the plugs that I have and connect them to an AP. But if these frustrations continue I will just box them up and sell them and replace them with another brand.
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1310

Replies: 4