Questions about my new EC70 camera

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-26 01:11:51 - last edited 2021-06-26 01:41:28
Model: EC70  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.3.6

I've already been using the Tapo C200 and the six I have work great. I only bought an EC70 so I could trigger smart plugs with motion. I thought the Kasa EC70 and Tapo C200 cameras would be more alike than different but I'm not sure now about that.

Here is what I would like to know about the EC70 so far.

1. I have a Smart Action to turn on a Smart Plug when the camera sees motion. This works one time and then I have to go into the app and turn the Smart Action off and back on, like it needs a reset or something to work again. I've tried adding an Off Delay Timer that will shut the Smart Plug off automatically but the Smart Action doesn't run again until the toggle off/on. How is this supposed to work? I want the Smart Plug to turn on each and every time I have motion by the camera. Can this be done? or not?

2. My Tapo cameras (really all other cameras I have) are setup to only record when motion is detected. I don't see an option for this, I can only turn on 24/7 recording and then motion detections are highlighted in the recordings. I don't need, and sure don't want, 24/7 recording. Can I just have motion detection recording like everything else I have? and if so how do I set it up?

3. On the main screen for the camera that has the live shot at the top and Pan-Tilt/Activity slide switch, when selecting Activity I always get a message that No Activity has been detected in the last 3 hours even when I have recent motion alerts. I never see anything different on the Activity side. What is the purpose of this switch? and what kind of Activity does it report?

4. How do I save motion recording that I can export from the Kasa software? or take a screenshot to export?

5. I have a menu item at the top that looks like a bell. It's on a page labeled Cloud-Stored Activity. I have hit and miss events show up here. I don't have any cloud storage (I don't have broadband internet where I live) so I depend on saving to uSD cards. Am I tied to using a cloud service to fully use this camera?

6. I have found one setting under Sensitivity that when setup will only record a clip if the motion last at least X seconds. I could see where this could help eliminate false triggers but I have played with the settings and nothing seems to change as far as the conditions for recording. Does this feature work? and what it the proper way to use it?

7. I have been looking for information to connect the EC70 to my 3rd party camera software I use. Is this on ONVIF camera? or can I connect with an RTSP stream? if so, what is the format? or even just MJPEG if I had to. What are my options here?

I use Kasa smart plugs and switches and have been really satisfied with them. I'm not sure about their camera yet but am waiting to read answers that will help me.

Thanks,

Jerry

Options
3 Reply
Re:Questions about my new EC70 camera
2021-08-22 03:28:30

@JerryH greetings from Colombia, south America... same happened to me, I'm getting stuck on motion detection recording, I can't find any option that let me only record when motion detection is triggered, it only let me turn on 24/7 recording and that's not practical at all!!!

have the same EC70 isssue.

Does anyone has set it up to record on SD only when it detecs movement??

thanks a lot.

Options
2021-09-27 02:39:43

@JerryH 

JerryH wrote

|

|

1. I have a Smart Action to turn on a Smart Plug when the camera sees motion. This works one time and then I have to go into the app and turn the Smart Action off and back on, like it needs a reset or something to work again. I've tried adding an Off Delay Timer that will shut the Smart Plug off automatically but the Smart Action doesn't run again until the toggle off/on. How is this supposed to work? I want the Smart Plug to turn on each and every time I have motion by the camera. Can this be done? or not?

|

|

7. I have been looking for information to connect the EC70 to my 3rd party camera software I use. Is this on ONVIF camera? or can I connect with an RTSP stream? if so, what is the format? or even just MJPEG if I had to. What are my options here?

I use Kasa smart plugs and switches and have been really satisfied with them. I'm not sure about their camera yet but am waiting to read answers that will help me.

Thanks,

Jerry

Sorry, Jerry,  I don't have the answers to your questions because I have the same issues.  I bought this camera because the slick product description showed it turning a light ON after motion is detected.  I have a Kasa HS210 kit [V3.0; F/W 1.0.2] and want to turn it ON with the camera.   They are both on the same Wi-Fi network and work independently.  Where is the Smart Actions app for this camera?

Also, I want to view the EC70 in Blue Iris on a desktop PC and IP Cam Viewer on my Android smart phone -- neither app lists any KASA cameras.

Thanks to Amazon, I may have to return the camera if I can't do either of these things.

Options
2021-09-30 08:29:54

@Wes1790 

Hi,

Just wanted to say that the Tapo C200 cameras are compatible with software like Blue Iris, CamStudio, IP Centcom, iSpy and others like this. I am using the RTSP protocol and can monitor these cameras from my Home Smart Controller. Even my Google Nest Hub can display from the C200 cameras. I've been quite satisfied with them and since they are a TP-Link product I assumed the EC70 would be very similar to it. If you can send it back and look at something else, you will be happier with something you can work with. This Kasa camera seems to be locked down fairly tight.

The other Kasa TP-Link smart plugs and smart switches work very well, at least the ones I'm using. I have 26 TP-Link devices on my Wi-Fi and haven't had any issues with it. I just wish Kasa TP-Link would make a commitment to offer a full range of smart devices so a person wouldn't have to go to multiple brands to put together what he wants. I've read on these forums suggestions members have submitted for even slight changes in the app that would really be nice for a user but nothing ever changes.

Anyway, I'll step down off my box now and wish you good luck in achieving the results you would like to have.

Jerry

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1748

Replies: 3

Related Articles