New Kasa SmartPlugs both stopped working at the same time

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-26 18:04:23

Purchased a 2-pack 1 month ago.  Worked great with no issues and setup was super easy.  Now mysteriously last week both stopped working consistently (using Kasa app).  I also purchased some SingLed smart lights at the same time and they started acting up on the same day; however, I have sever other smart plugs BN-LINK and about 20 smart lights from Aoycocr that are having no issues at all.

I reset the plugs, would work for a few minutes and then stop again (disconnected in the app).  I tried resetting all three routers / bridges in my house, same result.  No network changes at all, so this one has me scratching my head.

Options
5 Reply
Re:New Kasa SmartPlugs both stopped working at the same time
2021-07-26 20:17:05
Something has changed on your network to cause this (whether you noticed it or not). The key is to figure out what. If you’re running 3 routers, that’s going to create quite a bit of interference if they are not set up PERFECTLY. I run access points for all wireless in my house, and have a dedicated network for all smart home stuff. Some thing to check: -firmware on your routers, make sure they all match, if they don’t, update the ones that need it. If the do, if there was a recent update, downgrade if you can to test if it’s the firmware -make sure you’re properly set up for meshing and your signal strength isn’t too high. This sounds like it is a likely issue. There are countless variables that could be wrong here so it’s impossible to give specifics without knowing your set up. -MAKE SURE you are only using WPA2 security with ALL smart home products. It doesn’t matter if something says it “supports” WPA2/WPA3, or WPA3, it WILL cause issues if your not using strictly WPA2. -check your network lease key time and make sure you’re not running out of IP address -did you change your account details (username/password) or network password in any way? If so, the device might have to be reset and added as a new device. -last, but certainly not least, NEVER forget the importance of rebooting anytime there’s a network change. Let me know if any of these help
Options
2021-07-26 20:41:15

@Amigo- thanks for the reply.  I'm actually a network engineer, so i did go through it with a fine-tooth comb.  Two of the routers are in bridge mode, so they act simiar to an access point, so no issue there.  All firmware on the network devices are at the previous levels - none updated since 2020.  All are set to WPA2.  No SSID or password changes.  DHCP pool has tons of IP's available because lease time is 10 days.  I was thinking about setting up a DHCP scope for the smart devices to avoid any issues with ip conflicts, but honesly, there just aren't that many devices to use up an entire class C subnet.  All network devices rebooted, no improvement.

I checked the KASA app for updates, nothing.  I checked for firmware updates on the Kasa devices, nothing.  I am getting an occassional Java Socket error in the app when trying to turn the device on/off.  The device works about 30% of the time through the Kasa app, but not as stable like it was the first 2.5 - 3 weeks. 

Options
2021-07-26 20:50:06

Animatrix wrote

@Amigo- thanks for the reply.  I'm actually a network engineer, so i did go through it with a fine-tooth comb.  Two of the routers are in bridge mode, so they act simiar to an access point, so no issue there.  All firmware on the network devices are at the previous levels - none updated since 2020.  All are set to WPA2.  No SSID or password changes.  DHCP pool has tons of IP's available because lease time is 10 days.  I was thinking about setting up a DHCP scope for the smart devices to avoid any issues with ip conflicts, but honesly, there just aren't that many devices to use up an entire class C subnet.  All network devices rebooted, no improvement.

I checked the KASA app for updates, nothing.  I checked for firmware updates on the Kasa devices, nothing.  I am getting an occassional Java Socket error in the app when trying to turn the device on/off.  The device works about 30% of the time through the Kasa app, but not as stable like it was the first 2.5 - 3 weeks. 

@Animatrix ahh nice so you have a good level or network understanding. I have my lifetime ccAr certificate. 

Just because they're in bridge mode, doesn't necessarily mean they're functioning properly. What make and model hardware? 

How are your networks broadcasting? Band, channel, HT, and what are the RSSI readings?

Options
2021-10-14 19:39:22 - last edited 2021-10-14 21:20:31

I had a similar situation, then I tried various solutions, but nothing helped. I had to turn to IoT development for help. It turned out that the problem was with the router configuration.

Options
2021-10-15 00:41:55
Kasa IoT dev team?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 749

Replies: 5

Related Articles