REQUEST: Restart plugs/switches from inside the app

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-22 14:29:26 - last edited 2022-01-22 14:40:05

It would be very useful to have an option to restart the smart home devices (like plugs, switches, etc.) from within the app. Both at an individual per device level, along with a "restart all" option.

I realize that each device can be restarted by physically pushing the button or unplugging, etc., but in some cases accessing the device may be problematic or difficult. In my case I have some HS103 smart plugs in difficult to reach places - particularly because I wanted remote control over a difficult to reach place. This is a great use of smart plugs.

So the scenario that required me to manually restart all the devices was as follows: We had an extended utility power outage. When power came back the smart plugs and switches of course powered up. Initially they couldn't connect to WiFi access points since they were booting up. When the nearby access point came up the smart plug/switches connected to the WiFi. The problem is that the main WiFi router and cable modem hadn't yet finished booting and there was no internet connection. So the smart plugs/switches couldn't connect to the back-end servers. So from that point forward integration with Alexa wasn't working, the devices showed as "local only" in the Kasa app, etc. Restarting each *after* the internet connection was established resolved the problem.

Additionally it would be very useful if the device firmware would recognize that it can't initially connect to the back-end servers at boot and periodically retry. This would have also solved the problem.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 371

Replies: 0

Related Articles