Sunrise/Sunset Question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Sunrise/Sunset Question

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Sunrise/Sunset Question
Sunrise/Sunset Question
2022-02-22 13:48:48
Model: HS103  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.3

Does anyone know where the sunrise/sunset data comes from? I installed several devices and created schedules based on sunrise and sunset times. I have been watching and the sunrise and sunset on/off times on the devices haven't changed in four days even though the actual sunrise and sunset times have changed by four or five minutes.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Sunrise/Sunset Question
2022-03-11 18:05:49

@colglbo I dunno. But I wish the developers would allow it to be civil twilight. Millions of lights do not need to come on at sunset when the light outside is still fine. The US Weather Service explains at: weather dot gov slash fsd slash twilight.

Options
2022-03-12 15:33:24

@Snort When I posted this I was concerned that the sunrise/sunset times were not being updated. I have since discovered that they are updated every 3 or 4 days. The Kasa sunrise/sunset time is never more that 3 minutes different from actual. If sunset is too early for your lights to come on you can set them to come on up to 59 minutes after sunset.

Options
2022-03-12 17:24:42
Of course, the point of sunrise/sunset is it is automatic. They can offer civil twilight as an option to save millions in electrical bills and help save the planet and not make users manually change it all the time. Sunrise and sunset are still useful for lower floors of cities like New York, and homes in narrow streets, valleys, and in forests. Places where it gets dark before sunset and light after sunrise.
Options
2022-03-12 19:05:02

@Snort I'm not sure what you mean by automatic. If you set a schedule to turn off 30 minutes after sunset which would approximate Civil Twilight, then the Kasa plug would turn off 30 minutes after sunset automatically each day except that it would only update the sunset time every 3 or 4 days. I'm not sure which model of plug you are using but mine has a sunrise/sunset offset. You can set the sunrise/sunset time to be up to 59 minutes earlier or later than the actual sunrise/sunset time.

Options
2022-03-12 19:07:38
You can have sunset and sunrise for on and off or; set a time. You cannot have both.
Options
2022-03-12 19:23:22

@Snort I meant to say turn on in my reply rather that off. I'm not sure what you mean by you cannot have both. When you setup a schedule you set an on time and an off time. My schedules turn on based on sunset and turn off based on a specific time.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 418

Replies: 8

Related Articles