Making Kasa, Smartthings, and Logitech Harmony work together

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-02 18:17:55 - last edited 2022-08-09 00:39:26

TL;DR: I'm trying to control my Kasa stuff through my Logitech Harmony remote via a SmartThings connection, and I'm running into problems.

It's my understanding that the following workflow should be possible:

• Tie my Kasa account to my SmartThings account
  • Tie my SmartThings account (in which my Kasa devices are now visible) to my Logitech Harmony Acount
  • Control Kasa Devices via my Logitech remote/hub, which will communicate with Kasa devices via the SmartThings connection

I have been successful in performing the steps in the first two bullets. SmartThings can see my Kasa equipment and using the native SmartThings app, I can successfully trigger Kasa devices. Logitech can see my SmartThings account/devices, and all of those things show up in the Logitech app as devices. However, the Kasa devices aren't controllable that way. I can control other devices via Logitech -> SmartThings, for example TVs I have connected to SmartThings, but ALL of the Kasa stuff shows up as "No Connection" (see below example...the very bottom device is a TV, all the other devices are Kasa).

I don't doubt that this problem sits on the Logitech side, and I'm also aware that while they're still supporting it, the Harmony line has ultimately been discontinued. But, has anyone gotten this to work? Are there any workarounds I can try, or, is there an alternative to SmartThings I can connect Kasa to, which is also compatible with Harmony? I wish there were a direct integration between Harmony and Kasa but that doesn't appear to be possible at the moment.

FWIW, all of my devices are running the most recent versions of any applicable software/firmware.

6db75eafbd3a4411b9e7bcc29d2f4a6b

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Making Kasa, Smartthings, and Logitech Harmony work together-Solution
2022-08-03 16:51:43 - last edited 2022-08-09 00:39:26

@Little_C Okay, your comment helped me figure out a way to do this. I can't control a SmartThings automation directly through the Harmony app/remote, but I was able to create virtual switches that Harmony can see, which can control SmartThings automations regardless of what vendors' devices they control. I created a SmartThings automation, tied a virtual switch to it and pulled that into Harmony and it's able to control it! Thanks for helping me figure this out!

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Making Kasa, Smartthings, and Logitech Harmony work together
2022-08-03 02:54:09

@mgudites 

Have you ever tried setting up Automation in Smarthings APP instead of Harmony APP?

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2556/

Use Automation in SmartThings : samsung. com/us/support/answer/ANS00078852/

Options
2022-08-03 12:03:40

@Little_C No because I need to be able to control this via the physical remote control (not just an app on a phone), and, some of the scenes I'm trying to run using the Logitech remote are doing things that I can't do through Smartthings. 

Options
Re:Making Kasa, Smartthings, and Logitech Harmony work together-Solution
2022-08-03 16:51:43 - last edited 2022-08-09 00:39:26

@Little_C Okay, your comment helped me figure out a way to do this. I can't control a SmartThings automation directly through the Harmony app/remote, but I was able to create virtual switches that Harmony can see, which can control SmartThings automations regardless of what vendors' devices they control. I created a SmartThings automation, tied a virtual switch to it and pulled that into Harmony and it's able to control it! Thanks for helping me figure this out!

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-08-17 21:23:21

@mgudites,

How did i never think of doing this to my harmony remotes? The smarthings integration with the remote is great, but I could never withstand the loading times in the harmony app to set it up perfectly. Setting up virtual switches would also allow you to potentially make changes to the devices the remote controls, without having to use the harmony interface.

I haven't used my Harmony Remote in a little while, is the integrations and features still being fully supported by Logitech after they announced they weren't making the harmony series anymore?

Options
2022-08-17 22:04:46

@Riley_S that's my understanding! No more hardware, but they're going to continue to support the platform. I'm hoping maybe they'll change their minds about the hardware and release a new line of products someday; there really aren't a whole lot of alternatives out there. 

They're still issuing firmware updates for the remote, plus updates to the apps (as recently as 4 months ago for iOS at least). So far so good...I've got the three-outlet Kasa power strip and the Harmony remote controls them beautifully now that I set up the virtual switches. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 2217

Replies: 5