Group does not show whether it is on or off

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-14 15:04:00

Just started using the Kasa app on an iphone.  So far as I can tell, while individual devices show if you have turned them on or off, a group does not.  Is this a "feature," a flaw, or am I missing something? 

Options
7 Reply
Re:Group does not show whether it is on or off
2022-10-14 16:44:06

@amz1111,

Thanks for the suggestion! I would think that this feature may be more complicated to develop due to the possibility of one device in the group changing; but I can definitely see how useful it would be. 

I will pass along a recommendation that the status of the group is indicated on the home screen. What do you think it should be? On when all the devices are on, or displayed as On if any of the devices are on?

Options
2022-10-14 16:58:06

@amz1111 

Not sure, but probably on if anything is on.  I wasn't thinking about the problem that if one turns the group on, one could then turn an individual device on.  Even if having the icon showing on or off is somewhat ambiguous, if there could be something showing, if one turns the group on, that one has successfully done so, that would be good (and vice versa).  And having more separation between on and off both in "all devices" and when the group is the only thing on the screen (in the former, it's two halves that are fairly small so it wouldn't be hard to hit the wrong half; in the latter, the two halves are bigger, but there's no line between them.  I thought it was a toggle, as opposed to two separate things to hit, until I experimented).

Thanks for openness to improving. 

Options
2022-10-15 00:23:00

@amz1111 

And actually, I now see that, if I'm on all or favorites, when I turn on or off the group, the individual ones show whether they are on or off, so that eliminates much of the ambiguity.  I will note that sometimes it takes a pretty long time for them to change (like 5 or 6 seconds), which if that were fixable, 'twould be good.  Also, when I'm just showing the group, it shows radiating green when I turn on and a (slightly too subtle) momentary circle of gray when I turn off.  But if I'm in all or favorites, there are no such signals that I've successfully turned on, only the (sometimes very slow) indication that the individual items have been turned on or off (but if they were not among my favorites, that wouldn't show).  So those are my thoughts. 

Options
2022-10-20 18:44:01

@amz1111 

And just to note, it can take up to 30 seconds for the app to reflect that the individual items have turned on (they actually turn on nearly instantly). That seems like a bug (but maybe it's got something to do with my network). 

Options
2022-10-20 18:59:53

@amz1111,

What version of the app are you currently using? Things like this have been having fixes rolled out to them over the last few weeks.

Does the slow reaction only happen when you are on your home network? Or does the delay exist when connected via cell connection too?

Options
2022-10-20 19:01:46

@amz1111,

Also, I passed all this along to the rest of our team, and your feedback received a very positive response from the team. Hopefully, the engineering team can easily add the feature or some indicator that an action on a group has been made. Thanks again for the feedback!

Options
2022-10-22 16:05:38

@amz1111 

Build 3.03 build 1271.  As to your other question, I turned off wi-fi and the first the change reflected almost instantly, but after that times took 45 seconds or so (several times).  Then I turned off cell and turned wi-fi back on, same thing (first time instant, next time quite a while).  Thanks for your interest in improving things. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 560

Replies: 7

Related Articles