Is it possible to connect KL110 to "power through" outlet witth timer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-17 02:02:10
Tags: #Timer #connectivity
Model: KL110  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Tried looking for a thread about power through lines/outlets but couldn't find one. I don't know much about electrical but I know I was unable to install a TP-link switch on this particular line because it's a power through. (I was trying to replace a timer switch). My question: are these bulbs also unable to work with this type of a set up? (power through outlet + timer swtch?) 

When I installed the bulb (complete off position to switch on/bulb off), the bulb dimly blinks. As soon as I hit the switch on/bulb on button, the light glows brighter for a second, blinks off and dimly blinks again.  

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Options
6 Reply
Re:Is it possible to connect KL110 to "power through" outlet witth timer switch?
2022-10-18 00:01:22

@famished,

Im not too familiar with what type of setup you are looking at. From your description, it sounds like the power is first delivered to the bulb and then to the switch, I believe that this is relatively common in outdoor wiring. 

What is concerning is that if the switch is toggled off, at least as i understand these circuits there should be no electricity able to flow through the circuit, as it would be broken. I would ensure that your connections are correct and secure on the switch as it sort of sounds like you have a switch connected, that cant actually turn off the circuit. Is it actually a three-way with a hidden switch somewhere else?

Is it possible that the blinking and dimming are partly a result of the bulb beginning the configuration process and indicating that it is ready for setup in the app?

Options
Re:Is it possible to connect KL110 to "power through" outlet witth timer switch?
2022-10-18 00:59:48

@Riley_S Yes, it is outdoor and I believe it's as you described. Honestly, there were all sorts of problems with the house when we bought it. So, I wouldn't be surprised it something was wired incorrectly. There is a timer switch with a switch off/switch on as well as a dial that will turn on the light. Could the switch be the problem? When the switch is completely off, there is no issue: the bulb is off. It is not in pairing mode. However, if you move the tab to switch on (light off), there is a little red light in the unit that lets you know power is being delivered to the switch. When that happens, the bulb dimly blinks as if in pair mode. However,if you hit the dial to turn on the light, it will increase in intensity and then turn itself off instead of continuing to blink (which I would think would be the pair mode).

If I were to swap the switch for a standard, might that solve the problem? 

I don't think it's a 2 way as there is no other switch that appears to control the outdoor light. It is next to a two way switch but I think they are controlled by different wires if I recall correctly as 2 different fuse switches control each side.

Thank you for taking the time to help!

Options
2022-10-18 19:43:28

@famished,

I cant really guarantee anything, but if I were to hazard a guess it would be that timer switch. it could be not providing consistent enough power for the main unit to read the light as on all the time. I would think that either bypassing the timer, or replacing it, you would be able to simplify the wiring setup and would be able to have a better idea of where the power is flowing from.

Also, keep in mind that you can create smart actions and timers in the Kasa app, so the timer wouldn't necessarily be needed unless it is also controlling another device.

Options
2022-10-20 23:32:29

@Riley_S Thank you, I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Options
2022-11-12 23:07:28

@famished 

Hi Sorry to hijack this thread, but anyone else is having issue linking kl110 to wifi?

Options
2022-11-14 16:58:59

Hey @Elevate,

I would have recommended creating a new thread, as it would have been visible to more users.

What step in the setup are you having problems with the bulb connected to Wi-Fi?

What type of phone are you using to connect the bulb?

I would try to uninstall and reinstall the application, and also reset the bulb to factory defaults and see if the behavior persists.

What does the screen say is the issue with the process, and were you able to initially connect the bulb to the Wi-Fi

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 329

Replies: 6

Tags

Timer
connectivity