Unable to setup KL430

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Unable to setup KL430

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Unable to setup KL430
Unable to setup KL430
2022-10-18 16:28:28 - last edited 2022-10-25 16:26:30
Model: KL430  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Everytime I follow the instructions in the Kasa app, the smart light reboots and fails setup.

What I have tried:

I have tried two different Android phones. The phones had Bluetooth, airplane mode, and mobile data disabled. 

I have now tried two different light strips, after I contacted tech support for the first one not working, they thought it was defective.  

I have tried rebooting the phones and the light strip.

Any thoughts ideas would be helpful.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Unable to setup KL430-Solution
2022-10-25 16:26:10 - last edited 2022-10-25 16:26:30
Found a solution, but this clearly shows the Android application has a bug. Found a reddit post where others were having the same exact issue. They recommended installing a Kasa apk of version of 2.38.1.1068. After installing this version it setup perfectly the first time without any changes to network, phone, etc.
Recommended Solution
Options
16 Reply
Re:Unable to setup KL430
2022-10-18 16:36:03

@UCFDRU,

Have you tried resetting the light strip, rather than rebooting it? You can perform soft reset by holding the button for 5 seconds, or a factory reset by holding the button for 10 seconds. I would recommend trying a factory reset, and starting fresh.

At what point in the setup process do you get stuck at? What happens in the app?

Options
2022-10-18 16:46:09

@Riley_S 

I have tried the 10 second reboot. I get connection successful after the WiFi network shows then the light reboots and I get, "We need your help to continue.". Which then just causes the same issue when I reconnect

File:
Screenshot_20221018-124337.pngDownload
Options
2022-10-18 18:05:21

@UCFDRU,

Alright that screenshot may have been enormously helpful. When you are going through the setup process, it appears as though your phone is automatically switching networks because the local network provided by the KL430 does not have internet access. There should be a setting in your phone to prevent your phone from automatically disconnecting from the network when it has either a poor or no connection to the internet.

As weird as it sounds, you may have better luck enabling the cellular function on your phone, as your phone may be less inclined to disconnect from the KL430 Wi-Fi as it would have cellular as a backup option. 

Either way, it looks like the issue is with your phones reconnecting to your main network while the setup process is underway. You could try to forget your main network and log back in when the app requests so

Options
2022-10-18 18:21:43

@Riley_S 

Thanks for your suggestion.

The application requires a WiFi connection, not a mobile data, when adding a new device (screenshot attached).  I can connect wifi to add, then disconnect (forget network) after it gets past the add device screen.  Still failed with same issue unfortunately. My phone loses the WiFi connection with the light strip because it's rebooting.82fe4f23fa1443688ab700dce67a9f1c

Options
2022-10-19 00:21:54

@UCFDRU,

Hmm, can you go into the app permissions on android and see if the permission that allows the Kasa app to detect nearby devices is enabled? If this is disabled your phone would not be able to connect to the light again,

Another great thing to try is to turn off the private addressing feature in your phone settings while you are completing the setup as everytime your device disconnects from the network, it is registered with a Random MAC and appears as a new device to the network.

Options
2022-10-19 11:32:49

@Riley_S 

Thanks, nearby was enabled previously, updated the MAC to be the local device. Unfortunately same outcome, light freezes during setup and reboots.

7b551760b1644b6ebf76c94f5e5f0a24

Options
2022-10-19 16:51:08

@UCFDRU,

Have you tried linking the device to another network instead of your main network? I wonder if there may be some compatibility issue with the security settings for the network. If you have a guest network you could try to link it to that.

At this point, I would recommend getting in direct contact with our support teams so they can attempt to diagnose and solve your issue further. They may have further information or troubleshooting options. TP-Link Live Support

Options
2022-10-19 16:58:20

@Riley_S 

Will try another network later, though I should mention I have several TP-Link switched and lamps connected to my network.  Recently installed two new lamps, same time I bought the light strip.  I unfortunately reached out to the support already and they thought it was a faulty light strip, but this is the second one with identical behavior

Options
2022-10-20 03:21:25 - last edited 2022-10-20 03:35:19

@UCFDRU   I am having the same problem.The first KL430 I installed last week with no issues as well as other Kasa devices.I have tried for the last 2 days reading everything I could find on the internet and nothing is working to be able to install the second one.Tried mobile too and it still says not connected to internet. I see several others are having the same problem.Seems it's a hassle to deal with, so will probably return them and get another brand.Im not tech savvy and it shouldn't be this hard

UCFDRU wrote

Everytime I follow the instructions in the Kasa app, the smart light reboots and fails setup.

What I have tried:

I have tried two different Android phones. The phones had Bluetooth, airplane mode, and mobile data disabled. 

I have now tried two different light strips, after I contacted tech support for the first one not working, they thought it was defective.  

I have tried rebooting the phones and the light strip.

Any thoughts ideas would be helpful

Options
2022-10-22 17:52:17 - last edited 2022-10-25 16:26:20

@Riley_S 

I tried two different networks and still no luck.  I really think there is some software issue in the app related to the setup process.

Live chat thinks it's a defective strip, but that can't be possible with two different strips with the same issues.  I have now tried theee android phones, two networks, and two light strips.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 860

Replies: 16

Related Articles