No Ground wire but GFCI tester says the outlet is grounded

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-31 01:00:02
Model: KP200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I turned off the power and removed the old outlet and noticed there's no groud wire.    It's an old building - 1950s.

After doing some research I went out and bought a GFCI tester.   I tested the old 3-prong outlet with the GFCI tester and it came up as "correct".   So I assume it's being grounded some how.

Is it being grounded through the metal box?

Can I still isntall the KP200 outlet with out a ground wire?   

Thanks,

Options
1 Reply
Re:No Ground wire but GFCI tester says the outlet is grounded
2022-11-01 18:04:31

@FredKFredK,

You are most likely correct, but it would be recommended to have an electrician take a look to make sure, as the process to confirm this involves leaving exposed wires and connecting circuits to test for hot wires.

It is always safer to have a separate ground connection. If your house is older, I would be more concerned about the presence of a neutral wire. Neutral Wires did not become standard practice until the early 70s. The Neutral Wire is absolutely required and you can't get around not having one. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 223

Replies: 1