Wiring 2 range extenders together to extend Wi-Fi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-03 12:56:51 - last edited 2022-11-04 21:11:24

I recently had 2 TL-WA850 extenders wired together 3 floors apart in my place in Spain which worked great for about a year then I lost connectivity in my rooftop workshop. I messed around with them for days only  To find eventually that the cable had gotten burned up by the sun outside and eventually cracked.  I replaced the cable and and tried to reconfigure them both again and had absolutely no success for weeks now.   I had reset both of them so I'm really not sure what the configuration was that was working previously.  Any clues on how to configure them to give me Wi-Fi back to my 3rd floor? 🙏

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Wiring 2 range extenders together to extend Wi-Fi -Solution
2022-11-04 17:01:52 - last edited 2022-11-04 21:11:38

@Guitarrero,

Here is the Quick Install Guide for TL-WA850, which may be really useful for initial setup and troubleshooting if you don't have yours. 

We also have an FAQ with pretty thorough troubleshooting available here: Configuring an RE

I would recommend only setting up one of these range extenders at a time. so that your devices don't get confused regarding the temporary SSIDS that are created. Also, for your information, when these Range Extenders are wired, they are technically placed into Access Point Mode. I believe that this process is supposed to happen automatically however, the setting can also be manually selected during the initial configuration process: Setting up An RE as an Access Point

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-11-04 21:08:44 - last edited 2022-11-04 21:11:24

@Riley_S 

Thanks for the reply Riley!  

You have no idea how much headache you have saved me!  The magic work was Access point.  

I cant believe I was an IT hardware/software tech since the beginning of PC nerworking in the late 80s and got stumped by such a basic concept. 

Admittedly I got out in 2000 so stuff has changed but shame on me. 😏

The first hop from my router is the first RE set up as an RE, then the second RE 3 floors up was set up as an Access Point. Bingo! All worked perfectly.  

Thanks so much for your reply and help!

The only thing i will do tomorrow is rename the access point with the same SSID as my main router downstairs so I can be seamlessly connected as a move between floors.  

Again, thanks a million!  🙏

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
2022-11-04 17:01:52 - last edited 2022-11-04 21:11:38

@Guitarrero,

Here is the Quick Install Guide for TL-WA850, which may be really useful for initial setup and troubleshooting if you don't have yours. 

We also have an FAQ with pretty thorough troubleshooting available here: Configuring an RE

I would recommend only setting up one of these range extenders at a time. so that your devices don't get confused regarding the temporary SSIDS that are created. Also, for your information, when these Range Extenders are wired, they are technically placed into Access Point Mode. I believe that this process is supposed to happen automatically however, the setting can also be manually selected during the initial configuration process: Setting up An RE as an Access Point

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-11-04 21:08:44 - last edited 2022-11-04 21:11:24

@Riley_S 

Thanks for the reply Riley!  

You have no idea how much headache you have saved me!  The magic work was Access point.  

I cant believe I was an IT hardware/software tech since the beginning of PC nerworking in the late 80s and got stumped by such a basic concept. 

Admittedly I got out in 2000 so stuff has changed but shame on me. 😏

The first hop from my router is the first RE set up as an RE, then the second RE 3 floors up was set up as an Access Point. Bingo! All worked perfectly.  

Thanks so much for your reply and help!

The only thing i will do tomorrow is rename the access point with the same SSID as my main router downstairs so I can be seamlessly connected as a move between floors.  

Again, thanks a million!  🙏

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 372

Replies: 2

Related Articles