Require Two Clicks for Some Devices?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-04 22:12:00 - last edited 2022-11-08 18:51:46
Model: HS100  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version: 1.5.1

I use several HS100 units (HW 2.0/FW 1.5.1) for different purposes, and if I accidentally turn one of them off, I can turn it on again with no problem.

Except for the one unit that I use to control the router at my parents' house. I use this in the very rare cases where I need to remotely reboot their router, and in those cases I set up a 2 minute Timer to turn it On, then turn it Off. Then it's Off and unavailable for the next 2 minutes, and then it turns itself On.

But if I accidentally turn it off, I'm stuck, and then I need to call my elderly parents and have them delve into the garage and walk them through the procedure to find the Smart Plug and turn it back on. This is more difficult than it sounds, because my parents are old, their eyesight is poor, and they don't understand technology. If I can't get them to turn the Smart Plug back on, then I have to drive all the way over there to do it.

Is there a way to set up the Kasa App so that turning Off this one particular Smart Plug requires at least two clicks, so I don't do it accidentally? 

I tried setting up two different Rooms, and putting this one Smart Plug in another Room, but the Kasa app launches by default with All Devices showing.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Require Two Clicks for Some Devices?-Solution
2022-11-08 01:45:47 - last edited 2022-11-08 18:51:46

@TheWaterbug,

If you are on the homescreen of your Kasa App, you can long press on a device, which will cause a favorite and relocate option to appear at the bottom of the screen.

You can select your home from the dropdown, and then the room from the list. Otherwise, you can find the home settings in the upper left-hand corner, and you will be able to add any of your existing devices to any home from there. 

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Require Two Clicks for Some Devices?
2022-11-07 21:55:16

@TheWaterbug,

I believe that the scheduling function on the smart plugs is handled by the plug and not the cloud, so you could try and create a schedule that would automatically turn it on at some point during the day, which could allow you to at least not make the trip out there.

Otherwise, I would really recommend creating a separate Home for this plug rather than a room, that way when you have to change your home to toggle the switch accidentally, and it will not show up in your list of devices.

Options
Re:Require Two Clicks for Some Devices?
2022-11-07 23:48:34

@Riley_S 

Hi! Thanks for replying. The problematic Smart Plugs control my edge routers, so if they're off, there is no cloud laugh. So I definitely have to be super careful about turning them off only when I've already programmed a time for them to turn back on; otherwise I'm driving.

Adding a Home seems like a good solution. Do I need to delete and add the Smart Plugs to the new Home? I don't seem to be able to move a device from one Home to another Home.

On a related note, I would like to request a feature to "bounce" a device, e.g. turn it off, wait X seconds, and then turn it on again, with a single operation. This would be safer than my current method of programming an On time and then turning the device off manually. 

Options
Re:Require Two Clicks for Some Devices?-Solution
2022-11-08 01:45:47 - last edited 2022-11-08 18:51:46

@TheWaterbug,

If you are on the homescreen of your Kasa App, you can long press on a device, which will cause a favorite and relocate option to appear at the bottom of the screen.

You can select your home from the dropdown, and then the room from the list. Otherwise, you can find the home settings in the upper left-hand corner, and you will be able to add any of your existing devices to any home from there. 

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 486

Replies: 3

Related Articles