Light stays on after turning switch off [bug report]

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-11 17:47:10
Tags: #BUG REPORT

Hello.

I have 46 Kasa devices (44 switches + 2 plugs) in my house. The issue below happens randomly across the 44 dimmers (not yet noticed on the 2 plugs).

Sometimes after using a scene to turn off devices (ex. House Off scene or 1st Floor off scene, etc.) I notice that one of the lights remains on. Looking at the switch in question, I can see the led circle lit (off indicator) but the lights powered by the switch are on.

Few debug/investigative bullet points below:

• Happens randomly, approximately every 2-3 days.
  • Not isolated to any particular switch per se. (although there are a few switches that this happens to semi-regularly).
  • toggling the physical switch from off to on keeps the light on and then a second physical toggle turns it back off as expected.
  • toggling the switch from the app from off to on keeps the light on and then toggling to off from the app clears the issue.
  • turning off the switch from the app (the switch thinks it is already off) does not not turn off the light.
  • all switches/dimmers are updated to the latest FW.
  • After a physical/app toggle to clear the issue, the next time the scene runs the switch behaves as expected.

As a result of this issue I periodically run a special scene that turns all 46 devices on for 10 secs and then off. Typically do this when no one is home to help ensure that any devices that randomly behave this way, get "cleared" out of the bad conditions.

I really do love Kasa products so my intention is not to complain or be negative. Just hoping that I am not the only person reporting this and that the devs are aware of the situation.

Anyone ?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Light stays on after turning switch off [bug report]
2022-11-15 17:42:24

Does anyone from tech support or dev team have any thoughts/comments? Please.

Options
Re:Light stays on after turning switch off [bug report]
2023-01-03 17:39:46

Hello. Over Christmas I observed the issue a few times again, all with dimmers. I even saw an instance of the opposite behavior... the switch showed "on" but the light was off. After toggling the light came back on properly.

Uninitialized varibale or some type of race condition in FW? Or perhaps there is something mechanically wrong with the design of these dimmers that has this issue pop-up periodically.

I am the only person reporting this behavior?

I am up to 4 different dimmers which have shown this behavior. Maybe more but did not keep track for a while.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 381

Replies: 2

Tags

BUG REPORT