HS103 Plug Schedules

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

HS103 Plug Schedules

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
HS103 Plug Schedules
HS103 Plug Schedules
2022-11-14 21:21:47 - last edited 2022-11-15 14:50:26
Model: HS103  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.3

From what I understand, the schedules are stored on the device's internal memory. If the device looses power (in case of a power outtage) and no internet for a prolonged time period (more than a day) will the schedules get wiped out?

I think that's what happened to one of my plugs. It is powering my router at a remote location and it wis set to turn off at 3:00AM and turn back on at 3:01AM every day. It was working flawlessly until couple days ago. There was a power outtage for over a day and now the plug is grayed out in the Kasa app.

Options
7 Reply
Re:HS103 Plug Schedules
2022-11-15 03:14:41 - last edited 2022-11-15 14:50:26

@Lufthansa 

Certainly wait for a formal answer, but I can share this:

They have internal clock, but with loss of power they don't know what time it is.  Programming retention is moot, either way they have to poll the internet to get time.  I don't believe they pull NTP I think they pull time from the app via back-end and your "location" setting, but again moot.  No internet no time synch.  No time synch no idea what to do.

I have no idea how long it will retry, but expect indefinitely.  I guess Kasa can tell you that.

I have seen one get hung and go unavailable as a result of a brief power outage.  Seems like that one just didn't reboot clean.  Is what I suspect here.

Was I you I'd want to know to this: 

@Riley_S 

Do Kasa devices poll for programming changes or await a push?  That answer would sure tell you a lot, although note either way implies some form of back-end to device comm,   Which is why I suspect Push.  Assuming it's a push you could try a mild programming update and see if it took the update and came alive.   Otherwise I'm sticking with "hung device".

Options
2022-11-15 14:41:30 - last edited 2022-11-15 15:16:11

@dafish that makes sense. Thanks

Could you please be more specific with the following quote: "you could try a mild programming update and see if it took the update and came alive"

How do I perform a mild update from a remote location? The plug in question is some 600 Km away fromwhere I am.

Options
2022-11-15 17:52:12

@dafish,

I can't find any information specifically on the communication techniques of the devices. However, I would assume that the devices wait for a push update, as polling is usually reserved for devices that are relaying information or control other devices. I think that your phone may poll for updates if it is on the same network, hence all the local communication options for articles. 

I believe that the time should be stored on the devices in the event of an outage, and the plug will attempt to keep its own time. 

@Lufthansa 

Is your router still powered up? or did the plug not turn back on?

If you can access your router settings, you can look to see if the plug reconnected to the network or if this is where the problem lies. There should be an option for the plug to set the state the plug will return to when it is cut off an reconnected to the power. - Is it possible that you had this set wrong, and it caused the plug to turn the router off when the power came back?

Options
2022-11-15 18:47:28

Is your router still powered up? or did the plug not turn back on?

I have no way of telling as I am some 600 Km away from the router and plug. I beleive that the plug never turned back as my security cameras are not working and I can't reach the router. The plug is powering the router and was set to turn the power OFF at 3:00AM and turn it back ON at 3:01AM every day. Also all my cameras are powered by same type of plugs, but no schedule on them. All plugs are unaccesible, so that leads me to beleive that the router is off as well.

Options
2022-11-15 20:56:47 - last edited 2022-11-15 21:02:05

Yea, I assumed you were remote. Now that I hear the wi-fi router is literally controlled by this device it's moot, you're down hard. You'll need some kind of power outage to occur to force a restart. Had the router been alive an update via the kasa app would have pushed a change to the schedule to the device. If it had been alive in any way it likely would have accepted the programming change and also likely reset it's clock. Had it not it would have confimed it was in fact locked up. But again, no wifi no hope at all.

BTW, you think it will keep time when the power is off?  Interesting.  I'd be willing to bet against that...   I seem to recall your intial post describes an extended power outage.

In any event I'm out.  Good luck to you!

-d

Options
2022-11-15 21:02:02

@dafish Thanks for getting back to me. Just for future reference, can you please tell me how to push an update via the kasa app. Pardon my ignorance.

Options
2022-11-16 22:04:06 - last edited 2022-11-16 22:06:08

@dafish you said "BTW, you think it will keep time when the power is off?  Interesting.  I'd be willing to bet against that...   I seem to recall your intial post describes an extended power outage."

I did a test at home with another plug that has the Away Mode on it. I only use this plug when I go away for more than a day. It sits in a drawer most of the time with no power and no internet. How come the Away Mode doesn't get errased or internal clock doesn't get "confused"? Do you think the plug that is powering my modem at the remote location might be defective?

Thanks,

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 467

Replies: 7

Related Articles