Kasa app errors with "Network Unstable"

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-17 19:55:15 - last edited 2023-11-15 18:20:37

I have a number of Kasa devices in my home.  Plugs, switch, bulbs and a pan/tilt camera.  I installed the camera to keep an eye on my dogs while at work.  Disappointingly, the Kasa app errors out with "Network Unstable" if I am connected to my work WiFi.  If I drop WiFi and use cellular, I can bring up my devices and open the camera.  This is not acceptable since livestreaming is a tremendous amount of data.  I can reconnect WiFi while in the app and still see the camera image, but I am unable to control the camera other than to pinch to zoom.  Is this known?  Is it a bug/limitation? 

As a side note, all the Kasa devices are operable on remote WiFi with the Alexa app save for the camera which I believe is a limitation of the Alexa app.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Kasa app errors with "Network Unstable"-Solution
2023-01-18 01:43:10 - last edited 2023-01-21 07:11:04

@spamb0t,

I would honestly first be looking towards the wireless network at your work. I have had similar issues viewing a variety of camera streams from several platforms while at work. Your IT administrator may have set something for security purposes that does not allow the camera stream through the firewall. 

Have you tried to view the camera remotely from a different wireless network to verify that this is not isolated to one network? 

Recommended Solution
Options
11 Reply
Re:Kasa app errors with "Network Unstable"-Solution
2023-01-18 01:43:10 - last edited 2023-01-21 07:11:04

@spamb0t,

I would honestly first be looking towards the wireless network at your work. I have had similar issues viewing a variety of camera streams from several platforms while at work. Your IT administrator may have set something for security purposes that does not allow the camera stream through the firewall. 

Have you tried to view the camera remotely from a different wireless network to verify that this is not isolated to one network? 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Kasa app errors with "Network Unstable"
2023-01-18 12:45:42 - last edited 2023-01-21 07:11:04

@Riley_S Streaming disallowed through the firewall is a very good point, except that the app doesn't load, not just the camera.  I have 10 other devices that aren't cameras that are also rendered inaccessible.  I will find another wifi network today and see if the behavior persists.  Thanks for the ideas.

Options
2023-01-19 18:10:33 - last edited 2023-01-21 07:11:04

@Riley_S The app worked on a retail store network.  Sadly it looks like work wifi is to blame.

Options
2023-05-05 21:33:29

@spamb0t I have the same error.  my 3 hs200 light switches were working great.  ATT sent me a new gateway and ever since all i get is Network Unstable and they lose the connection from time to time.  I turned off 5Ghz and running solely on 2.4 but makes not difference.  I have many wifit devices and none are having this issue.

Anyone figure out why Kasa complains about Unstable Networks?

Options
2023-05-06 00:19:26

Hey  @kikiL,

Have you tried resetting the device to see if the switch is still trying to connect using a setting from your older network? Resetting the device and adding it to the Kasa app will clear any of these settings eliminating it as a possibility. Also, make sure to try using the Kasa app from another phone to see if the unstable connection is from your phone or from the switches

Do you have any settings available on your ATT Gateway for specific devices? If there are advanced features such as Beamforming or Fast Roaming turned on, odd behaviors may arise if they are not compatible with ATTs implementation of the feature.

Lastly, I would recommend trying to change the DNS setting on your Gateway, this is the setting that controls routes outside of your network and if the default ATT DNS server is slow or blocking the connection, you may be given this error.

Options
2023-10-19 17:40:11

@spamb0t It seems Kasa App has an issue in the Network. 

Somehow, while I am trying to log in, I am also getting the same type of error. While you are trying to log in, you are accessing the TP-LINK services that might be unstable

Sometimes I also be able to log in, but for a couple of minutes, and then I am logged out automatically or all my devices turn offline, and then I know that I am probably logged out. So I have to close and open the app again and try to log in and the same error message appears.

Options
2023-10-19 17:42:53
Are you able to log in to the app? I have the same issue.
Options
2023-10-19 21:11:59

@absilva7,

How long have you been unable to login, and have you been able to login previously?

Does this happen when you are connected to your phone's cell connection? If you are able to login through your mobile connection, it may be a setting on your network blocking the connection.

Options
2023-10-19 22:19:28

@Riley_S It has been happening for a month now.

I will upload the error and I do believe it is the service on TP-LINK and not my Network at home.  I should be able to log in and if my network wasn't working well, it would show all devices offline. The problem is before the app sees my network so in the login screen.

I get the same messages if I try to log in or activate the 2-way factory. "Network is unstable. Please try again later."

Error while try to login TP-LINK Kasa APP

Options
2023-11-15 07:08:57

@absilva7 my settings disappeared tonight.   The light settings came back, and they work.  

The camera settings came back, but I am not able to connect to the cameras for viewing.

Starting to wonder if it is time to find a camera system that is not reliant on a app and server somewhere else.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 4659

Replies: 11