Is TP-Link going to abandon Kasa App and Kasa line?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-26 16:41:36

I have EP-10's in two geographic locations in different time zones and I have asked for the Kasa App to include location management so that I will me able to manage each location's devices separately with one login in the App. It seems like further development of the Kasa App is dead? I switched to Kasa devices after the demise of Insteon. I liked Insteon because one app with one login ca manage multiple locations. Well, Insteon resurrected but for paid subscription! 

Options
8 Reply
Re:Is TP-Link going to abandon Kasa App and Kasa line?
2023-01-26 17:35:44 - last edited 2023-01-26 17:36:58

@firefox111,

The Kasa Ecosystem is actually very much alive and being developed. The 3.0 app update was released just a few months ago, with support and fixes rolling out constantly. 

I have already seen Kasa product lines planned throughout this year, indicating that the brand is going nowhere. We should see a few new features and functionalties rolling out in the next update, as the Kasa brand is preparing for matter support, along with the new Ceiling Fan and Dimmer Switch announced at CES.

For your request, the 3.0 Kasa app actually added the ability to add devices to multiple homes under one TP-Link ID. The settings for multiple homes can be found in the upper left gear from the Kasa App's main screen.

It is also worth noting that, unless there is a app-breaking bug, our official apps will only receive an update through the app store once a month on average.

Options
2023-01-26 17:48:08

@firefox111 

Thank you. I didn't know that 3.0 app has the way of managing devices in different locations! I have to check this out if I have the 3.0 version. My concern is, does the devices acquire local time from the location where it is located? Time is important for schedules! 

Options
2023-01-26 17:55:20

@firefox111 

Alright! I have successfully added a second home in the App. Now, Now, since I'm remote from that home, how can I merge the devices in that home to my app? Remember, I used two different accounts to be able to separately manage devices in two locations! How do I add the devices from one account to the app with another account that I added a second "Home"? Thanks...

Options
2023-01-26 18:07:52

@firefox111 

Shall I delete the devices from one account and manually add them to the second home in the other account? OR, is there an easy way through the TP-Link support site? Thanks.

Options
2023-01-26 18:14:06

@firefox111,

You may hate me for saying this, but you have to be near the devices, or at least connected to the same wireless network as the devices in order to connect them to a TP-Link  ID. For the devices to be added to another account, they would need to go through their configuration process again, and be factory reset to default. You will, unfortunately have to wait to move them to another account. Once a device is tied to an account, the device can be moved between homes on an account with ease.

What I would recommend, is to create a new thread in our Feature Requests for sharing devices between TP-Link IDs, I have seen a few other users that would benefit from a feature such as this, where a device could be shared with something like a QR code or link, however I have not seen any of these users create a formal request for the feature.

Options
2023-01-29 17:55:22 - last edited 2023-01-29 18:03:34

@firefox111 

Well, I'm disappointed!  It is NOT what I expected.  I have created a "Home" (second) in the Kasa app using my primary TP-Link login.  I then decided to move one plug from my second Kasa account to be ready to add it to the second "Home" in my primary Kasa app.  Note that I am physically located in the second "Home" which is geographically located 1,800 miles from the first home, and on a DIFFERENT Time Zone.  I deleted the device from the account and add it to the second Home on the primary Kasa app. So, to my surprise, even though I added it to the second "Home", it also added the same icon on the first home in the primary Kasa app! And it acquired the time zone from the first home's location, again, even though I am physically in the second home's time zone! AND to make it worse, I cannot change the time zone of a HOME! Crazy! So I decided to hold on to the second account, just for the second home.  Confused?????

Is it just me or is it the Kasa App which is not ready for prime time in multi location management!

Options
2023-01-30 22:19:23

@firefox111,

I believe that the settings related to Time Zones are currently limited to be an account-wide setting, as other features may rely on a singular time, such as Smart Actions. I will add this to our feedback to the developers as this is something that we see a few requests for.

Remember, the Multiple Homes for Kasa was only just released in the most recent feature update; as we pass more feedback to our teams, the feature will only improve.

I am a little confused about how the device would have appeared in multiple homes, as the only way I was previously able to accomplish this was to create a group that contained the device, and move the group over to the other home, separate from the device. If you look at your home from another device or try to move the duplicate device to the second home again, does the appearance of the device fix itself.

Options
2023-01-31 00:01:56

@Riley_S 

Well, multiple location feature should include parameters like time zone - one location in Indiana, USA, and another location in Taoyuan, Taiwan!

Yes, when I added the one device from the second location to the app, it showed up in both "Homes"! I was able to turn it off/on from the "Home" which should not have been showing because the just added device was for the second home.  I was concerned that it would mess up the first home's devices and configs, I deleted it right away from the second home and added it back to the second account.  It would have been a disaster if it messed up the devices in Taiwan as that location is solely on remote control and I don't have somebody to reset devices in that location!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 662

Replies: 8

Related Articles