2023-02-09 01:20:14 - last edited 2023-02-09 01:25:16
Model: Tapo RV10   Tapo RV10Lite  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Using Voice Commands for Tapo Robotic Vacuums

“Alexa, Ask Tapo Vacuum to Vacuum After 8:00 PM”

“Alexa, Ask Tapo Vacuum Where It Is”

“Alexa, Ask Tapo Vacuum to Stop Cleaning”

As Robotic Vacuums have become more popular in households, so has the trend of giving your robot friend a name. We want to know what names our community members have come up with for their vacuums. Choosing a name can be difficult, as most users give their vacuums Human-Like names. Unfortunately, this can often cause your Voice Assistant to not recognize the command, and may even end up interacting with someone from your Contacts with a similar name.

For the best results, it is recommended that a relatively uncommon name is chosen for your device, this way, your Alexa will not confuse your command with attempting to text or call someone.  If you have difficulty, you may change the name of the device from either the Tapo or Alexa App.

As higher-end vacuums are released, which may include more in-depth mapping technologies, you will even be able to send your vacuum to a specific room or area to clean with commands like:

“Alexa, Ask Tapo Vacuum to Go Clean the Kitchen”

“Alexa, Ask Tapo Vacuum to Start Cleaning the Bedroom”

“Alexa Ask Tapo Vacuum to go Home”

Alexa Commands:

“Alexa, ask [Robot Name] to Start/Pause/Resume/Stop Cleaning”

“Alexa, ask [Robot Name] to Go Home”

“Alexa, ask [Robot Name] where it is or Alexa, where is [Robot Name]?”

“Alexa Turn On/Off [Robot Name]”

Alexa Hunches (Clean While Away from Home)

In case you did not know, the Alexa Integration for Tapo also takes advantage of the Hunches Feature from Alexa. A Hunch allows you to configure Alexa to take action when Alexa believes that no one is home or you have fallen asleep.

The available hunches for your Alexa Account, depend highly on what devices are connected to your Alexa Account.

With the new Tapo Robot Vacuums, Alexa can now automatically send your vacuum out to clean your home when your Alexa Home determines that there is no one available in the home.

Google Routines (Creating a Cleaning Schedule)

For Automated Routines Using Google Home, the process is slightly different. Currently, robotic vacuums are not available as an option for when your home detects users away or in the house. Instead, you can use the routines feature to schedule your vacuum to automatically clean at specific times, or based on other triggers. To do this, you must configure your vacuum with the above commands.

If you are having difficulty creating a routing with a schedule, you may need to use two commands to start the cleaning process. These commands will need to be manually entered, as if you were talking to your Google Assistnat. First, use a Command to Turn on the Vacuum, then use a second command to tell the vacuum to start cleaning.

Stay Tuned for More Information and Specifics on How To Integrate Your Tapo Vacuum with your Google Home and Alexa Smart Homes!

Amazon Product Pages:

RV10    RV10Lite

Related Articles: 

RV10 and RV10Lite Product Launch

Common Issues and Troubleshooting

Options
5 Reply
Re:Using Voice Commands with a Tapo Robotic Vacuum
2023-04-12 20:05:23

@Riley_S Is there a reason Homekit/Siri support isn't mentioned or wasn't considered? Is this feature in the works?

Options
2023-04-13 16:26:32

@PRoebuck,

I am not too sure actually - I have only seen mentions of the integrations with Google Assistant and Alexa, but this is more so because they are smart home platforms, not just Voice Assistants.

I know that we do have a Tapo integration for Siri, however I do not know if it has been recently updated to support the RV series. I will try and work with our product testing team to find some more information about the Siri Implementation, otherwise, I will check with our developers.

Options
2023-04-13 16:54:01

@PRoebuck,

So I was able to go and test the functionality for Siri Integration. 

The key is to using a vacuum with Siri is to use the shortcuts feature.

- The default options for creating automation in apple home do not have the ability to change the state of a vacuum, only plugs, lights and switches.

- The Automations App allows you to trigger any of the Scenes/Automations that you have configured from within the Tapo app. From the Tapo app, you can configure scenes or automations that would turn the vacuum on, tell it to start cleaning, or return to the dock. These automations could then be fired from Siri

I will still check with our teams to see if there are plans for a deeper integration into the platform.

Options
2023-04-13 17:24:19 - last edited 2023-04-13 17:26:46

@Riley_S Would have been a triumph to show up here even if Home app only shows

switches (yeah, idiotic after all this time).

• http:// dumbswitches com/apple-homekit-compatible-robot-vacuum
  • http:// digitaltrends com/home/best-robot-vacs-with-homekit-support

I don't have either of the other three platforms and won't.

Options
2023-04-13 19:23:13

@PRoebuck,

Based on the links that you posted, you're actually looking for an officially supported Homekit Vacuum. 

Based on how our other product lines have released specific models meant to bring official Homekit ability, I would suspect that a Homekit integration would either need specific hardware, or would need to go through a special approval process - as Apple places their own requirements on homekit-compatible devices that could potentially interfere with other features.

On the Apple Home App that I was looking at, it appeared that there was a wide variety of devices available to the platform, however, these are specifically labeled as Homekit devices and are set up through Apple's process rather than through the traditional setup method. In fact, the first 10 minutes after a homekit device is powered for setup, you can only use the homekit process to add the device to your home, after 10 minutes the devices can be set up using the default SSID as normal.

As the RV10 series is the first line of vacuums from Tapo, we may still see announcements for compatibility as more models are released.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 875

Replies: 5

Related Articles